Politics Aizawl Mizoram (MZ)

Mizoram to set up MPSC reform panel after student protests disrupt recruitments

Following days of picketing by the Mizo Zirlai Pawl over alleged administrative lapses, the Mizoram government has decided to form a reform committee to review the functioning and recruitment processes of the Mizoram Public Service Commission.

Mizoram to set up MPSC reform panel after student protests disrupt recruitments
©Illustration AI Devendra Kulkarni / we-news.com

Aizawl: The Mizoram government has decided to constitute a reform committee to review and strengthen the Mizoram Public Service Commission (MPSC) after weeks of agitation by the powerful student organisation Mizo Zirlai Pawl (MZP), an official said on Wednesday.

Panel announced after meeting with stakeholders

The decision to form the MPSC Reform Committee was taken during a meeting held in Aizawl that brought together leaders of the MZP, representatives of students affected by current recruitment procedures and officials from the MPSC, the official added. The matter has been referred to the Chief Minister, the official said.

The meeting was chaired by the State Department of Personnel and Administrative Reforms Secretary, Udit Prakash Rai, who apprised participants of the government’s decision to constitute the committee. The official said the committee will examine structural and procedural issues raised by the agitation.

What prompted the agitation

Functionaries of the MZP began picketing the MPSC office earlier this week and have continued demonstrations that, according to the official, prevented staff from entering the premises. The protests follow earlier demonstrations outside the commission on 6 and 7 August. The MZP has demanded substantive changes to recruitment methods and additional manpower for the commission.

As a consequence of the agitation and the administrative concerns it has highlighted, the MPSC has indefinitely postponed several ongoing recruitment processes, including written tests and personal interviews, the official said.

Core demands by the MZP

The MZP has cited repeated administrative shortcomings in recent recruitments and questioned the efficacy of the One Time Registration (OTR) system. Its principal demands include:

  • Scrapping the existing OTR system in favour of need-based, post-specific application forms.
  • Allowing a one-time offline opportunity for candidates who were rejected due to incomplete OTR document uploads to submit missing documents, particularly those who cleared written examinations but were later disqualified during document verification.
  • Addressing staffing and procedural gaps within the MPSC to restore candidates’ confidence.

The MPSC, however, has rejected some of the MZP’s demands, including a blanket discontinuation of the OTR system, saying such a move would create fresh administrative challenges, the official said.

Immediate impact on candidates

Candidates preparing for MPSC examinations and selection processes have been directly affected. With written tests and interviews put on hold indefinitely, aspirants face uncertainty over schedules and timelines for recruitment. Student representatives at the meeting urged authorities to provide clear timelines and remedial mechanisms for those who claim to have been unfairly disadvantaged by OTR-related technical or documentation lapses.

A table summarising recent protest activity and administrative effects:

Event Date(s) Effect
Demonstrations outside MPSC office 6–7 August Public protests highlighting grievances
Picketing preventing staff entry From Monday (this week) Operational disruption at MPSC
Postponement of recruitment processes Ongoing Written tests and interviews deferred indefinitely

Next steps and expectations

The official said the composition, mandate and timeline of the MPSC Reform Committee will be finalised after the Chief Minister examines the proposal. The committee is expected to study structural reforms, recruitment procedures and the operation of the OTR system, and to make recommendations aimed at improving transparency and efficiency.

Stakeholders at the meeting reiterated the need for a balance between administrative feasibility and candidates’ rights. The MZP pressed for remedial measures that would benefit those already affected by past recruitment cycles.

Until the committee is constituted and its terms clarified, affected recruitment proceedings will remain on hold, prolonging uncertainty for aspirants and adding pressure on the commission to resolve procedural issues swiftly, the official said.

Further details on the committee’s membership and deadlines are awaited from the state government.

Devendra Kulkarni
Devendra AI AI Politics Desk Editor online

Hi, I'm Devendra, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

MZMizoram

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Mizoram, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click