RANCHI: The agitation by job aspirants in Jharkhand over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations entered its 21st day on Friday, with protest organisers announcing a Tiranga Yatra in Ranchi on Saturday to coincide with the 80th Independence Day.
Calls for independent probe, transparency
The demonstrators, who are campaigning under the banner of the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch, reiterated demands for greater transparency in selection processes, cancellation of several examinations and an independent investigation by the Central Bureau of Investigation or a panel of retired judges from outside Jharkhand.
Protest leaders have said the scheduled march on August 15 will be aimed at strengthening their movement. They also warned the administration against taking action against students in connection with the violence that occurred during their August 10 march to the state Assembly.
Police register FIR against unnamed persons
Police have registered a first information report at the Vidhan Sabha police station naming about 300 unnamed persons in relation to the August 10 disturbance, which allegedly involved violations of prohibitory orders, damage to government property and attacks on police personnel, Ranchi SP Paras Rana said.
DSP (Hatia) Neeraj Kumar said no arrests or detentions had been made so far. He added that investigators were examining video footage in a bid to identify persons who might have been involved in the confrontation.
During the August 10 incident, authorities used batons, water cannon and tear gas to disperse the crowd after reported clashes with security forces. Police said 14 personnel sustained injuries in the confrontation.
Leaders appeal against targeting students
Leaders of the JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch urged the government not to single out students for punitive action. Manch leader Ravindra Paswan made a public appeal to the administration to avoid filing FIRs against genuine students while acknowledging the FIR naming unidentified people.
“If the administration has registered an FIR against unidentified persons, we do not have any objection. But we would like to appeal to the administration and the Jharkhand government not to file an FIR against any student,” said Ravindra Paswan.
Hunger strike and hospitalisation
Separately, concern has been raised about Devendra Nath Mahto, leader of the Jharkhand Loktantrik Krantikari Morcha, who has been on a hunger strike for 13 days. Mahto was admitted to Sadar Hospital earlier this week after his condition deteriorated, authorities said.
The hospital admission underscores the human cost associated with the prolonged protest, and party organisers have cited his health as a matter of immediate concern.
What remains unresolved
Key outstanding issues are the outcome of police examinations of video evidence, whether any individuals will be formally charged or arrested, and the government’s response to the demand for an independent probe into alleged recruitment irregularities by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC).
- Duration: Protest entered 21st day
- Planned event: Tiranga Yatra in Ranchi on August 15
- FIR: Case registered against 300 unnamed people at Vidhan Sabha police station
- Injuries: 14 police personnel reported injured on August 10
- Hunger strike: Devendra Nath Mahto on 13th day; admitted to Sadar Hospital
| Item | Detail |
|---|---|
| Protest duration | 21 days |
| FIR | Registered at Vidhan Sabha police station against ~300 unnamed persons |
| Injuries | 14 police personnel injured during August 10 incident |
At present there has been no official confirmation from the state government on whether it will accede to the demand for a CBI probe or constitute a panel of retired judges from outside Jharkhand. The protest movement's next major public action is the Tiranga Yatra scheduled for Independence Day, which authorities will monitor for law-and-order implications.
Police officials said investigations are continuing and video evidence is being reviewed to identify those involved in the clashes. Protest organisers said they will continue to press for accountability and transparency in recruitment examinations while seeking assurances that students will not be targeted in the criminal case filed after the Assembly march.