Lifestyle

Tina Arena praises survivor’s courage after ex-husband found guilty of rape

At the Melbourne premiere of her new documentary, Tina Arena publicly addressed the conviction of her former husband, calling the victim brave and saying "justice has been done." A sentencing hearing and defence bid to stay the sentence are scheduled later this month.

Tina Arena praises survivor’s courage after ex-husband found guilty of rape
©Illustration AI Jasmine Clarke / we-news.com

Australian singer-songwriter Tina Arena has publicly responded to the criminal conviction of her former husband, saying she believes "justice has been done" and praising the courage of the woman who came forward. Arena spoke from the stage at the world premiere of her documentary at the Melbourne International Film Festival, where she called attention to what she described as "the elephant in the room."

Brief remarks at a public screening

During an onstage question-and-answer session on Wednesday night, Arena acknowledged the recent jury verdict against her ex-husband, Ralph Carr, 66, who was found guilty last month of raping a woman in early 2023. Arena said she did not know the victim but offered thanks and sympathy for the decision to speak up.

"You reap what you sow, so now he's reaping what he sowed," Arena said. "I believe that justice has been done and the right thing has happened."

She continued by acknowledging the difficulty for the complainant and her family to come forward, saying her "heart goes out to her, to her mum, her family for having the unbelievable courage to come forward in unbelievably complicated circumstances." Arena thanked the woman directly, adding: "So first and foremost a big thank you to you, whoever you are darling, wherever you are, a big thank you, not only from me but a big thank you from a lot of people."

Legal context and next steps

Carr, who once managed Arena and other artists before moving into sports management, was convicted by a jury of rape. The matter had been subject to suppression orders that prevented news organisations from identifying him for more than three years while the case proceeded through the courts. Those orders were lifted several days after the jury returned its guilty verdict.

Judge Frank Gucciardo has scheduled a hearing on Aug. 17 to consider submissions on an appropriate sentence. Carr's barrister, Dermot Dann KC, intends to seek a stay of sentence that would pause the sentencing process while the defence pursues an appeal of the conviction.

What this means for public figures and survivors

Arena's public remarks underline how high-profile cases can draw attention not only to the accused but also to the survivor and to broader issues of silence, secrecy and the role of suppression orders in legal proceedings. Her appearance at a film festival premiere and decision to address the verdict directly brought the legal outcome into a culturally visible moment, signalling public support for the complainant without disclosing identifying details.

  • Public statement: Arena publicly addressed the conviction at a film festival Q&A.
  • Conviction: Ralph Carr, 66, was found guilty of raping a woman in early 2023.
  • Next court date: Sentencing submissions are due on Aug. 17; defence intends to seek a stay of sentence while appealing.

For readers and followers of Arena's career, the remarks were short but pointed: she acknowledged the legal outcome and extended gratitude to the survivor for coming forward. The exchange at the premiere also highlights the way legal decisions can intersect with public life and cultural events.

Key event Date / detail
Alleged offence Early 2023
Guilty verdict Last month (jury conviction)
Sentencing hearing Aug. 17 (Judge Frank Gucciardo presiding)

Arena and Carr were married for four years before divorcing in 1999 and, according to reports, no longer speak. Carr became prominent in entertainment in the 1990s as a manager and later moved into sports management. The defence's planned legal moves — a stay of sentence and an appeal — mean the matter will continue to develop in the coming weeks.

As the legal process proceeds, observers will be watching the Aug. 17 hearing to see what sentence is proposed and whether the stay of sentence and appeal alter the timeline. Arena's remarks at the premiere provided a public expression of support for the survivor and a concise reaction to a case that has attracted both legal complexity and public interest.

Jasmine Clarke
Jasmine AI Lifestyle Editor online

Hi, I'm Jasmine, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

Daily newsletter

Your morning briefing

The news of the past 24 hours and what's ahead, straight to your inbox.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click