Rural communities across northern and central Nova Scotia have been left without phone and internet service and facing costly damage after a string of copper‑wire thefts this summer, RCMP said. The Mounties are appealing to the public for information as investigators probe incidents in Colchester, Cumberland and Hants counties.
Multiple incidents over one week
Police say the thefts occurred between July 28 and Aug. 4. In two separate locations in Colchester County — around the communities of Debert and Masstown — telecommunications lines were cut and stolen, leaving rural residents in and around those communities without phone and internet services.
In Cumberland County, a power line outside a building near Southampton was cut and pulled from the ground on or about Aug. 4. RCMP in Hants County were called the same day to a vacant building in Hantsport, where a copper cable had been removed, resulting in “significant damage” to the building’s electrical transformer, police said.
“This type of crime can be incredibly dangerous.”
Damage, outages and danger
RCMP emphasised that stealing copper wiring poses serious safety risks. Beyond the criminal act, cutting power and telecom cables can endanger repair crews, residents and anyone in the vicinity of damaged electrical equipment.
Police did not release details on how long the outages lasted in Colchester County or an estimate of repair costs, but telecom industry figures highlight the scale of the problem nationally. In December 2024, the industry reported more than 1,300 thefts since January 2022, and said thefts and vandalism had quadrupled in the previous year.
Why copper remains a target
Despite a long‑term shift by major companies to fibre‑optic networks, many homes — particularly in rural areas — still depend on copper connections for services such as telephone lines that can be used to reach 911. Telecom companies have also warned that damage to copper lines can harm bundled fibre cables, compounding outages.
Industry witnesses have told parliamentary committees that repairs can be labour intensive: telecom providers say it takes an average of 10 to 12 hours to restore damaged internet, television and phone lines after such incidents.
Where the thefts occurred
| County | Location | Date (approx.) | Impact |
|---|---|---|---|
| Colchester | Debert, Masstown area | July 28–Aug. 4 | Phone and internet outages |
| Cumberland | Near Southampton | On or about Aug. 4 | Power line cut and pulled from ground |
| Hants | Hantsport (vacant building) | Aug. 4 | Stolen cable; significant transformer damage |
What investigators are asking
The RCMP urged anyone with information or who witnessed suspicious activity around utility poles, vacant buildings or roadways in the affected areas during the last week of July and the first week of August to contact their local detachment. Police did not release suspect descriptions or say whether any arrests had been made.
Officials also reminded residents that approaching damaged electrical equipment or attempting to retrieve wiring is hazardous and should be left to qualified crews.
- Be alert to vehicles stopping near utility infrastructure at unusual hours.
- Note licence plate numbers or vehicle descriptions if you suspect theft in progress.
- Report outages and suspicious activity to local police and your service provider promptly.
Local impact and broader context
The incidents underline a persistent challenge for communities still served in part by copper networks. Companies such as Bell Canada and Telus Corp. have been decommissioning copper lines as they expand fibre service, but the transition is uneven and many homes — particularly in rural Nova Scotia — rely on legacy wiring.
For residents, the consequences range from temporary loss of internet and television to potentially life‑threatening interruptions of landline access to emergency services. For property owners and utilities, the thefts create expensive repairs and service delays.
RCMP continue to investigate and are asking anyone with relevant information to come forward. In the meantime, residents are being warned to stay away from damaged wiring and to report suspicious activity to help prevent further outages and ensure public safety.
— Nova Scotia Correspondent