FORT McMURRAY — A late-night break-and-enter on Pond Crescent led officers to a suspect after they followed a trail of blood and footprints from the scene into a nearby neighbourhood, Wood Buffalo RCMP said.
How police located the suspect
RCMP say they were called to a residence on Pond Crescent at about 1 a.m. on Thursday, after someone at the home reported a disturbance. According to the police account, a man had been banging on the door and demanding entry. When he was refused, he allegedly broke a glass pane to get inside.
"officers responded to a break and enter in progress at a residence on Pond Crescent at about 1 a.m."
A verbal confrontation followed, the force said, and the man fled on foot. Officers who attended the scene observed a trail of blood and footprints leading away from the residence and tracked it into a nearby neighbourhood. A suspect was taken into custody without incident.
Charges and court dates
The accused was identified by police as Mitchell Cardinal-Boucher, 26, of Fort McMurray. He faces a charge of break and enter. Police said the injury that caused the blood was minor and did not require medical attention. The residents of the home and the accused were not known to each other, RCMP added.
After arrest, Cardinal-Boucher was held for a judicial interim release hearing and has since been released from custody. He is scheduled to appear in the Alberta Court of Justice in Fort McMurray on Aug. 26.
Timeline
| When | What happened |
|---|---|
| About 1 a.m., Thursday | RCMP responded to reported break-and-enter on Pond Crescent |
| Shortly after | Officers followed blood and footprints into a nearby neighbourhood |
| Following tracking | Suspect arrested without incident |
| Post-arrest | Held for judicial interim release hearing; later released; court date set for Aug. 26 |
Local context and implications
While this appears to be an isolated overnight incident, it underscores several local concerns for residents and businesses in Fort McMurray's downtown corridors: access control in older homes with vulnerable glass panes, the potential for confrontations when occupants refuse entry, and the effectiveness of neighbourhood policing and rapid follow-up.
- Safety response: Quick police work and visible evidence on the ground — blood and footprints — led to an arrest without further incident.
- Medical impact: The suspect suffered a minor injury during the incident and did not require treatment, according to police.
- Community ties: Authorities reported the accused and the residents did not know each other, pointing to the act as not being connected to a personal dispute.
For local residents, the case is a reminder to secure entry points and to consider safety measures for late-night disturbances. For businesses and property owners in nearby areas, it highlights the value of neighbourhood vigilance and prompt reporting to police.
RCMP continue to handle the law-enforcement aspects; the Crown will proceed through the courts regarding the break-and-enter charge. The accused's next appearance is set for Aug. 26 at the Alberta Court of Justice in Fort McMurray.
This account is based on information released by Wood Buffalo RCMP.