Durban — KwaZulu‑Natal Hawks Lieutenant‑Colonel Deenadayalan Govender began his testimony before the Madlanga Commission on Friday, outlining the events and evidence recovered at a Morningside flat where tow‑truck operator Bevan Loftus was fatally shot in 2023.
Who was on scene and who led the operation
Govender told the commission he was the most senior officer present but said he was not in charge of the operation. He said members of the province’s Tactical Units had attempted entry, were fired upon by occupants of the flat, returned fire and that in the exchange several people were killed, including Loftus.
He said he only entered the flat after the shooting and that he was not responsible for processing the crime scene.
Items recovered at the flat
Govender said investigators recovered a number of items from the flat. He told commissioners the haul included ammunition, firearms, a substantial quantity of drugs and cash.
| Item | Reported quantity |
|---|---|
| Ammunition | 197 rounds |
| Firearms | 7 rifles |
| Cash | R400,000 |
| Drugs | Described as a large amount (not quantified) |
Allegations and denials
The commission is examining allegations about police operations in KwaZulu‑Natal, including claims linked to Loftus’s death. Those claims include an alleged contract killing of Loftus for R2.5 million, reportedly commissioned by a tow‑truck rival, Clive Naicker. Govender told the commission he had no knowledge of any threats to Loftus or of a contract to kill him.
"As far as Bevan is concerned. I do believe that he did own a tow truck business. But I have no knowledge of any threats of assassination made against him or information that there was a contract to kill him," Govender said.
He also denied accusations made by Gregory Loftus, Bevan’s father, that he and other members of the Loftus family were intimidated by him.
Gang links and context
Govender described those killed at the flat as allegedly belonging to a group he referred to as the "Hollywood Gang". He told the commission Loftus had been wanted by police since December 2022 and alleged Loftus had been linked to other violent incidents, including the death of a girl in Wentworth.
Speaking about the wider policing context, Govender said gang shootings were widespread in Durban and suggested that the frequency of shootings had decreased after Loftus’s death.
Process concerns and oversight
During his testimony Govender also expressed concern about being targeted by investigators from the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (IPID). He said he believed he was being used to discredit other officers, naming Len John of IPID in that context.
Govender’s testimony forms part of a broader commission inquiry examining alleged shortcomings and misconduct in provincial policing operations. The Madlanga Commission was established to probe allegations that include unlawful killings and the use of excessive force in operations across KwaZulu‑Natal.
- Evidence listed: 197 rounds of ammunition, seven rifles, R400,000 and a large amount of drugs were reportedly recovered at the flat.
- Operational claim: Govender said Tactical Units attempted entry, were shot at and returned fire; he entered after the exchange.
- Denial: Govender denied knowledge of assassination threats or a contract to kill Loftus and rejected claims of intimidating the Loftus family.
The commission’s examination of Govender’s testimony is continuing. Further witnesses and exhibits are expected as the inquiry proceeds, and the proceedings may clarify who led the operation on the day Loftus died and whether police conduct met legal and procedural standards.
For residents of Durban and surrounding communities, the commission’s findings will be important for understanding past policing practices and for shaping future oversight and accountability measures in the province.