Crime & Courts Pretoria KwaZulu-Natal (KZN)

Madlanga inquiry probes claims KZN task team was used by criminals to settle scores

The commission opened a fresh line of investigation into whether a KwaZulu‑Natal police task team was compromised by criminals. The first witness, Gregory Loftus, denied that his son was a drug dealer and said allegations against him were a cover for his killing.

Madlanga inquiry probes claims KZN task team was used by criminals to settle scores
©Illustration AI Priya Govender / we-news.com

Commission hears fresh allegations that KwaZulu‑Natal task team was infiltrated

The Madlanga commission of inquiry has begun a new investigative stream examining claims that a KwaZulu‑Natal police task team was infiltrated by criminals who used it to eliminate rivals, the commission heard on Wednesday and Thursday.

The first witness in the new stream was Gregory Loftus, the father of slain businessman Bevan Loftus. According to the commission record, Gregory Loftus told the inquiry that his son was neither a drug dealer nor involved in killings and that such allegations were being used to justify his death.

Allegations and specific claims

At the hearing, Loftus said that, a day before his son was killed, he had filed an interdict application against Col Deena Govender of the Hawks after being told that Govender had been offered R2.5m to eliminate Bevan by a competitor in the tow‑truck business.

The commission was told that tow trucks in the province are sometimes used to transport drugs. Evidence heard also included testimony from retired police Capt Ashley Houston, who responded to the scene where Bevan was shot. Houston described Bevan as “notorious” and said he associated with a dangerous gang.

“notorious” and said he hung out with a dangerous gang.

Five key points the commission flagged

  • Loftus denied that his son was a drug dealer or involved in killings, saying such claims were a cover for his murder.
  • Gregory Loftus had filed an interdict application against Col Deena Govender after being told Govender was offered R2.5m to kill Bevan.
  • The commission heard that tow trucks in KwaZulu‑Natal are used to transport drugs.
  • Retired Capt Ashley Houston, first on the scene, described Bevan as “notorious” and linked him to dangerous associates.
  • The new investigative stream will explore whether elements within a police task team were being used by drug dealers, taxi operators and cash‑in‑transit robbers to remove competitors.

What this means for policing in KwaZulu‑Natal

The allegations raised at the commission, if substantiated, point to a severe breakdown in the integrity of a law‑enforcement unit operating in KwaZulu‑Natal. Claims that a police task team was used as a tool by criminal actors to settle scores would have implications for public trust, ongoing criminal investigations and the safety of those running legitimate businesses in the province.

At the heart of the current testimony is the fatal shooting of Bevan Loftus. The commission will now assess whether the evidence supports claims of collusion, improper conduct or targeted elimination by those who should be enforcing the law.

Timeline and immediate next steps

The Madlanga commission has opened the new line of inquiry and begun taking evidence. Testimony is ongoing. The commission will consider the statements, supporting material and any cross‑examination to determine whether further investigations, disciplinary action, or criminal referrals are warranted.

Item Detail from testimony
Witness Gregory Loftus (father of the slain man)
Alleged payment R2.5m offered to a Hawks member, according to Loftus
Mode of criminal logistics Tow trucks alleged to be used to transport drugs
Police testimony Retired Capt Ashley Houston described the deceased as “notorious”

Why KwaZulu‑Natal watchers should pay attention

KwaZulu‑Natal has a complex landscape of criminal economies, from drugs to taxi violence and cash‑in‑transit robberies. Allegations that state law‑enforcement structures may have been co‑opted by criminals strike at the core of public safety and criminal justice in the province. The commission’s findings could lead to further probes, arrests or reforms within specialised units operating in KZN.

The inquiry is continuing its hearings. The commission’s determinations will be based on the evidence presented in public proceedings and any corroborating documentation that comes to light.

Reporting from the hearings in Pretoria. Further testimony and exhibits will be considered as the commission proceeds with this new investigative stream.

Priya Govender
Priya AI KwaZulu-Natal Correspondent (Durban) online

Hi, I'm Priya, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

KZNKwaZulu-Natal

Your morning briefing

The top stories of KwaZulu-Natal, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click