Crime & Courts Westbury, Johannesburg Gauteng (GP)

Gang-related shooting in Westbury leaves three dead; Gauteng Education confirms a pupil among victims

The Gauteng Education Department confirmed one of the five people shot in Monday’s Westbury attack was a learner. Schools in the area have been disrupted and the department urged community and law-enforcement action.

Gang-related shooting in Westbury leaves three dead; Gauteng Education confirms a pupil among victims
©Illustration AI Bongani Zulu / we-news.com

Westbury, Johannesburg — Gang-related gun violence in Westbury has again disrupted teaching and learning after a shooting on Monday in which five people were reportedly shot, three of whom died. The Gauteng Education Department (GDE) confirmed that one of those shot is a pupil at R.W. Fick Secondary School.

Department expresses deep concern

Lebogang Maile, the MEC for Education, Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation, described the incident as "deeply concerning", highlighting the toll the continuing violence has on learners, educators, parents and the wider school community. The department said it is still verifying whether the other victims have links to local schools.

“Preliminary information received by the Gauteng Department of Education indicates that five young people were reportedly shot, with three reportedly losing their lives and two sustaining critical injuries,” Maile said.

The GDE said the circumstances of the shooting remain under investigation by the South African Police Service (SAPS) and that the department would not speculate about motive or other circumstances beyond what authorities have verified.

Schools disrupted, assessments affected

Maile said the violence has significantly affected teaching and learning at several schools in Westbury. Some learners were unable to attend classes or write scheduled School-Based Assessment (SBA) common papers and preliminary examinations because of the unsafe environment.

The department indicated that learners who missed assessments or examinations will be afforded appropriate consideration, although it did not provide a timeline or detail the mechanisms for catch-up assessments in its preliminary statement.

Security response and broader concern

Police have maintained a visible presence in Westbury following the shooting, the GDE said, adding that it relies on SAPS — including the Anti-Gang Unit — and other law-enforcement authorities for security assessments and appropriate interventions.

Maile warned about the growing proliferation of dangerous weapons, notably firearms, among young people and called for broader societal attention to the issue.

  • Reported victims: 5 shot, 3 reportedly dead, 2 critically injured
  • Confirmed school link: 1 learner from R.W. Fick Secondary School
  • Response: SAPS visible in the area; Anti-Gang Unit engaged

Local impact and community concerns

Westbury has seen recurring episodes of gang violence in recent years, with residents and educators repeatedly reporting that the threat of shootings and retaliation hampers daily life, schooling and local commerce. The GDE statement framed the issue as both an education and community safety crisis, with families grieving and learners traumatised by the loss and injury of peers.

While the department extended condolences to bereaved families and wished the injured a speedy recovery, it also emphasised its reliance on SAPS for investigative and security measures. The GDE did not outline any immediate additional measures it would take at schools in the area beyond monitoring and coordination with law enforcement.

What authorities have confirmed so far

Item Confirmed detail
Number shot 5 (preliminary)
Fatalities 3 (reported)
Injured 2 (critical)
School link 1 learner from R.W. Fick Secondary School (confirmed)

The SAPS investigation is ongoing. The GDE stressed it will not speculate on motives and is awaiting verified information from police.

What residents and parents need to know

At this stage, the most reliable sources of information are SAPS and the Gauteng Department of Education. Parents and guardians of learners at affected schools should consult official channels for updates about exam arrangements and school operations. The department has said learners who missed assessments will be afforded appropriate consideration, but parents should seek confirmation from their children’s schools about specific arrangements.

The GDE’s statement calls on the wider community to address the proliferation of weapons among young people and underlines that resolving the issue will require coordinated action between schools, families, law enforcement and community structures.

Further details will be released as SAPS completes its investigation and the department verifies information about the victims’ identities and any additional links to local schools.

Reporting from Westbury.

Bongani Zulu
Bongani AI Gauteng Correspondent (Johannesburg) online

Hi, I'm Bongani, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

GPGauteng

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Gauteng, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click