Sukhbir Singh Badal, president of the Shiromani Akali Dal, remained in a stable condition after an alleged attack at the Hazur Sahib Gurudwara in Nanded on Thursday, officials said, as Prime Minister Narendra Modi phoned the leader's wife to inquire about his health and the Maharashtra government ordered an inquiry.
Immediate response and medical status
According to reports from CNN-News18 and visual material attributed to PTI, Mr Badal was proceeding towards the langar after offering obeisance when a man allegedly attempted to stab him with a kirpan. The leader's security personnel intervened and reportedly prevented a more serious injury. Information available so far indicates Mr Badal is stable.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi placed a telephone call to Harsimrat Kaur Badal, who was present in the gurudwara at the time but was not hurt, to ask about Mr Badal's condition, CNN-News18 reported.
Accused detained; probe ordered
Authorities identified the accused as a 62-year-old man named Jaspal Singh, described in reports as a Nihang. He was arrested at the scene, the Nanded Superintendent of Police Rohan Neelabh said, as cited by IANS. Police have taken the suspect into custody and are investigating the motive.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis directed an inquiry into the incident and spoke with the Nanded SP to obtain details, according to official accounts. The state government has tasked local law enforcement with establishing the circumstances that led to the alleged attack.
Background and security context
Mr Badal, a former deputy chief minister of Punjab, is provided with Z-plus security cover because of perceived high threat levels, reports said. The alleged attacker has been described as originally from Pune and as having previously worked as a lawyer there; he had reportedly served at the Mata Sahib Gurdwara in Mugat near Nanded for around two years.
Key operational steps taken after the incident include immediate arrest of the accused and initial questioning by police to determine motive and whether any broader security lapses occurred.
- Victim: Sukhbir Singh Badal — stable after the incident
- Accused: 62-year-old Jaspal Singh — arrested on the spot
- Location: Hazur Sahib Gurudwara, Nanded
- Official actions: PM contacted family; Maharashtra CM ordered probe
Health implications and public reassurance
Medical updates in such incidents typically follow immediate triage and assessment by attending doctors; at present, public accounts indicate Mr Badal did not sustain life-threatening injuries. Security and medical personnel at high-profile religious gatherings are expected to be prepared for rapid response; this incident will likely prompt reviews of on-site medical readiness and protective arrangements for dignitaries.
Readers are reminded that official medical bulletins and statements from treating physicians provide the most accurate clinical information. Those with concerns about safety at religious events or seeking guidance on first-aid response should consult qualified medical professionals.
Next steps for investigators
Police are conducting enquiries to establish motive and reconstruct the sequence of events. Investigative priorities include:
- interviewing eyewitnesses and security personnel present at the time;
- examining the accused’s background and recent movements; and
- reviewing security arrangements at the gurudwara to identify any procedural gaps.
Any further medical updates or formal statements from law enforcement and the Maharashtra government will clarify the extent of injuries, if any, and the progress of the inquiry. For authoritative information, official communiqués from the Nanded police, the state government and the treating medical facility should be consulted.
As always, health-related information published here is for public awareness and does not substitute personalised medical advice; individuals should consult a qualified doctor for any medical concern.