Federal officials say the Vernon Cadet Training Centre is prepared to receive people displaced by the ongoing wildfire emergency in British Columbia, a development that underscores the growing role of military and emergency infrastructure in local response planning.
Federal readiness declared amid challenging wildfire season
Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski issued a statement on Aug. 18 saying the cadet facility in Vernon “is prepared to receive evacuees if needed in the days and weeks ahead.” The statement came as the federal government responded to a provincial request for assistance while fires in southern B.C. remained active.
The training centre was vacant after more than 500 cadets from across Canada were sent home when scheduled summer training was cancelled because of wildfire smoke. The federal statement thanked the Canadian Armed Forces for making the facility available, and acknowledged the involvement of the Canadian Red Cross, Salvation Army and St. John Ambulance in potential operations.
Local MP had questioned suitability
The declaration did not end a public debate about whether the cadet camp is appropriate for housing evacuees. Vernon–Lake Country–Monashee MP Scott Anderson had earlier said the site “isn’t suitable to receive refugees except in a massive crisis” and suggested there were “far more suitable locations available in the city.” Anderson posted his view on social media Aug. 8 and shared an emailed response from National Defence Minister David McGuinty that expressed a similar reservation.
“Currently, the (Vernon Cadet Training Centre) is not suitable for accommodations related to public evacuations, though in an extreme situation it could...”
The federal emergency management release indicates that readiness arrangements do not preclude the view previously expressed by National Defence; rather, it presents the cadet camp as an available option should provincial needs escalate.
What this means for Vernon
For residents, the announcement signals that federal assets are being marshalled to support the provincially led response. It also raises practical questions about how a training facility would be converted for short-term shelter, what services would be provided on-site and how decisions would be coordinated between municipal, provincial and federal agencies.
- Availability: Cadet centre reported ready as of Aug. 17–18.
- Capacity context: Facility was empty after cancellation of cadet training that affected over 500 youths.
- Partners: Canadian Armed Forces, Red Cross, Salvation Army and St. John Ambulance named as collaborators.
The federal statement said officials remain prepared to provide additional assistance to support the province “as needs evolve,” but it did not specify the number of evacuees the facility could accommodate or the timeline for activation. Local elected officials and emergency responders will be key to any decision to use the site.
| Date | Event |
|---|---|
| Aug. 8 | MP Scott Anderson posts concerns about suitability; shares response from Nat. Defence Minister. |
| Aug. 17 | Federal government notes cadet training centre is available following cancellation of cadet summer activities. |
| Aug. 18 | Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski issues statement saying the centre is prepared to receive evacuees if needed. |
As wildfires continue to threaten communities across the province, decisions about where to house evacuees are likely to remain fraught. For Vernon, the availability of the cadet camp adds a federally backed option to the local emergency toolbox, even as questions about suitability and logistics persist.
Officials have emphasised coordination among agencies; residents are being asked to monitor local emergency updates in case provincial authorities request activation of the site. The situation remains fluid, and federal officials say they will support provincially led operations as required.