The Royal Canadian Mounted Police have relieved Deputy Commissioner Dwayne McDonald of his duties as commanding officer for British Columbia while the force investigates unspecified allegations dating back to between 2016 and 2018.
RCMP Commissioner Mike Duheme confirmed the move in a statement posted Aug. 13, saying the allegations were brought to the force’s attention recently and that investigations are ongoing. The statement said the matter was being handled “with the attention and diligence it requires” and that further details would not be provided at this time.
“The change will not affect RCMP’s operations in B.C.,”
As an immediate operational measure, John Brewer, who has served as assistant commissioner in the province, will replace McDonald as interim commanding officer for B.C. Duheme’s statement described Brewer as a respected member of the RCMP’s senior leadership team.
Leadership, high-profile cases and public scrutiny
McDonald has been a visible public face of the RCMP in British Columbia, leading briefings on several high-profile and sensitive matters. That includes the mass shooting in Tumbler Ridge earlier this year that left eight people dead, and public communications after the killing of Burnaby RCMP Const. Shaelyn Yang in 2022.
The relief of a provincial commanding officer is an uncommon and consequential move for policing in B.C. It raises questions about internal oversight, the handling of historic complaints, and the impact on public confidence in the force’s leadership — particularly while the RCMP continues to work on major investigations across the province.
RCMP statements in cases like this typically balance transparency with confidentiality while investigations proceed. In this instance, the force explicitly declined to provide further particulars, saying only that the matter would receive appropriate attention.
Immediate practical impacts
In the short term, the RCMP has sought to reassure the public that day-to-day operations in B.C. will continue without interruption. Duheme’s statement emphasised continuity of service under Brewer’s interim command.
- Operational continuity: The RCMP says the command change will not disrupt policing activities in B.C.
- Investigative status: Allegations date from 2016–2018 and were reported recently; investigations remain underway.
- Limited disclosure: The force has so far declined to release specific details about the nature of the allegations.
Those looking for further detail will need to await updates from the RCMP as the investigation progresses. The force’s approach reflects an ongoing balancing act between informing the public and protecting the integrity of investigations and individuals’ privacy.
Context and questions ahead
The timing of the relief of a senior officer during a period of intensive, highly public policing work draws immediate attention from communities and elected officials. Observers will watch for answers to several key questions: What were the allegations, who brought them forward, and what steps will the RCMP take to maintain public trust while the inquiry continues?
For now, the RCMP’s public messaging is narrow and cautious. That is likely to continue as investigators establish facts, interview witnesses and weigh whether further internal or external processes are warranted.
| Key timeline | Detail |
|---|---|
| Allegations | Reportedly date from 2016–2018 |
| Announcement | Relief of duties and interim appointment announced Aug. 13, 2026 |
| Interim commanding officer | John Brewer named interim |
As the RCMP investigates, British Columbians and stakeholders across the justice and policing sectors will be watching for transparency and accountability. The development underlines the broader public interest in how institutions respond to allegations—past or present—against those who lead them.
Further updates will depend on statements from the RCMP and any formal findings arising from the ongoing investigations.