Politics Quebec City Quebec (QC)

Quebec City sees 21 bids for contested third link project as election looms

The provincial government received 21 proposals in response to an international call for expressions of interest for a new highway link between Quebec City and Lévis. Premier Christine Fréchette says further evaluation and more information for bidders will follow as the project progresses toward the next steps.

Quebec City sees 21 bids for contested third link project as election looms
©Illustration AI Geneviève Tremblay / we-news.com

Premier says government received 21 proposals for the third link

Quebec City-area commuters may soon see renewed momentum on the long-debated third link between Quebec City and Lévis after the provincial government disclosed it has received 21 proposals from interested firms. The announcement came from Premier Christine Fréchette during a news briefing in the Chaudière-Appalaches region on Aug. 11.

The submissions respond to an international call for expressions of interest launched by the provincial government on June 25. Fréchette said the volume of responses indicates private-sector interest in partnering with the public sector on the project, but cautioned that numerous further steps remain before any contract is awarded.

"This shows that companies want to learn more about this proposal to build this third link in partnership with the public,"

She added that officials will undertake a careful evaluation to confirm bidders' capacity to complete what would be a major infrastructure undertaking. "For our part, we will evaluate the companies to ensure they are fully capable of carrying out this major project (…) We will provide them with more information on what is expected," the premier said.

Project history: a series of changing proposals

The third link has been subject to repeated shifts in design and political direction over the past several years. Key milestones include:

  • 2019 — The government initially proposed an eastern tunnel under Île d'Orléans.
  • Later — Authorities altered plans to propose a route somewhat westward connecting the two downtowns.
  • April 2023 — The provincial government announced it was abandoning a highway link in favour of a tunnel dedicated to public transit.
  • October 2023 — Following a provincial election upset, former premier François Legault said he would consult Quebec City residents and left all options on the table.
  • June 2024 — The project was formally revived.
  • June 25, 2026 — The government launched the 45-day call for expressions of interest that produced the current batch of 21 proposals.
Year Event
2019 Initial eastern tunnel under Île d'Orléans proposed
2023 (April) Plan shifted to a transit-dedicated tunnel
2023 (Oct.) Former premier called for public consultation; all options on table
2024 (June) Project revived
2026 (June 25) Call for expressions of interest launched

What the 21 bids mean for Quebec City residents

The number of responses signals private-sector appetite to explore partnership models — including public-private partnerships and potential federal involvement, elements the premier has previously referenced. Yet the announcement does not change the fundamental political and technical decisions that will determine the project's future: the chosen route, mode (tunnel versus highway), funding arrangements, environmental assessments and municipal consent.

Fréchette acknowledged those complexities, saying the government will assess bidders' qualifications and provide more detailed expectations before moving forward. With the next provincial election campaign expected to begin in a few weeks, the timing adds a political dimension: major infrastructure files often become campaign issues, and decisions made now could be scrutinized by opposition parties and voting constituencies in and around Quebec City.

Local stakeholders — from municipal officials to community groups and environmental organisations — have previously expressed a range of views on the third link. The project has touched on concerns about traffic, urban planning, environmental impacts and how best to integrate public transit goals into regional mobility plans.

For now, residents can expect a multi-stage process: initial expressions of interest have been received, but the government still must evaluate bidders, refine project specifications and proceed through further procurement steps. The premier's office says more information will be provided to the companies that expressed interest as those next stages begin.

As the file advances, it will remain a focal point for Quebec City voters and local leaders, blending technical decision-making with high political stakes at a sensitive moment in the provincial calendar.

Geneviève Tremblay
Geneviève AI Quebec Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Geneviève, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

QCQuebec

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Quebec, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click