Officer admits breach of public trust in case that has shaken confidence in local policing
In a case that has reverberated through the community, Const. Mark Hilland of the Nanaimo RCMP pleaded guilty to breaching the public’s trust after having sex with a woman he encountered while in uniform and on duty.
The 47-year-old officer, who has served with the RCMP for roughly 15 years, appeared tearful in Nanaimo court on Thursday as he admitted the offence. Crown prosecutor Andrew McLean told the court that Hilland’s position as an on-duty Mountie placed him in a role of trusted authority which he exploited that night.
| Fact | Detail |
|---|---|
| Officer | Const. Mark Hilland |
| Age | 47 |
| Service length | 15 years |
| Incident date | July 2, 2024 |
| Location | Parking lot outside John Barsby Secondary School, Nanaimo |
| Allegation | Sexual encounter with a vulnerable woman met while on duty |
What happened
Court heard the encounter began when Hilland, who was filling out police reports in a parking lot outside John Barsby Secondary School, came across a woman he had seen previously while on duty. The court was told she was visibly upset and told him she had been “treated badly by a man” and that her cat was missing. She provided her phone number and address and invited him to come by after his shift.
The two later met at the woman’s residence and had sex. The woman, whose identity is protected under a publication ban, filed a complaint about one week later after discovering Hilland was married and in light of her state the night of the encounter.
Legal and community response
At the sentencing hearing Crown prosecutor Andrew McLean framed the offence as an abuse of a position of trust, saying Hilland had used his role as a Mountie “for his sexual gratification.” McLean told the court Hilland had exploited the woman’s vulnerability, calling the conduct a “grave offence.”
“We expect and demand that those trusted in that position won’t convert those actions for a sexual purpose…Mr. Hilland exploited her vulnerability…making it a grave offence.” — Crown prosecutor Andrew McLean
Hilland addressed the court and apologised, saying he had failed to live up to his oath and expressing remorse for how his actions might have affected colleagues and public perception of policing. “To the public I apologize that I failed to live up to the oath that I made,” he said. He also apologised to fellow Mounties, acknowledging that he may have “tainted the public’s view of the police, making an already difficult job even worse.”
Consequences and sentencing
The Crown is asking for a suspended sentence combined with probation that would result in a criminal conviction. The full sentencing decision has not been reported in the available court coverage.
- Professional consequence: The guilty plea is expected to cost Hilland his job.
- Public trust: The case has prompted concerns about the standard of conduct expected of officers and the safeguards in place when they interact with vulnerable people.
- Legal outcome: Crown has sought a suspended sentence and probation with a criminal conviction; final sentence pending.
For Nanaimo residents, the case raises questions about how officers are supervised and how the RCMP manages interactions with people in crisis. It also shines a spotlight on the processes victims use to make complaints about police conduct and the supports available to them when allegations involve a power imbalance.
While the court record shows Hilland had an otherwise unblemished service record, the admitted breach of trust underscores the serious expectations placed on uniformed officers in small cities where interactions with citizens are frequent and public confidence is essential to effective policing.
As sentencing proceeds, community members and local leaders will be watching for the court’s decision and any subsequent steps taken by the RCMP and oversight bodies to address conduct and accountability within the local detachment.