NANAIMO — A man has died after being struck by a vehicle in downtown Nanaimo early Sunday morning, and police say a driver has been arrested as the investigation continues.
What happened
Nanaimo RCMP responded at approximately 2:30 a.m. on Aug. 16 to a report of a male pedestrian who had been hit near the intersection of Cavan and Albert streets. The pedestrian later died of his injuries, RCMP said. Police have not released the victim’s identity.
Witness accounts circulated on social media and to news outlets described the vehicle leaving the scene. One witness, Ryan Hartley, told reporters he saw a yellow taxi van strike a man before it left the area.
“Then the cab just drove off,” Hartley said, describing the incident as a hit-and-run. “The man appeared to be badly injured and I immediately called 911.”
RCMP confirmed a driver has been arrested but have not provided further details about the vehicle involved, whether it fled, or any charges that may be laid. Police said no additional information is available while detectives continue their work.
Community reaction and broader concerns
Residents in nearby neighbourhoods expressed alarm at the latest incident. People living in the Victoria Road and Nob Hill areas told local media they are increasingly worried about safety on their streets following the fatal collision.
The Nanaimo Area Public Safety Association, which tracks and advocates on neighbourhood safety issues, said the crash is the most recent in a string of incidents raising unease among neighbours. Association co-founder Kevan Shaw noted that residents have raised concerns about the number of people gathering on streets in the area, including near an overdose prevention site on Dunsmuir Street.
“Residents have raised concerns about the number of people living or gathering on the streets in the area, including near an overdose prevention site,” Shaw told reporters.
Details released so far
RCMP provided the following key points:
- Police responded at approximately 2:30 a.m. to a report of a male pedestrian struck near Cavan and Albert streets.
- The pedestrian died of his injuries; his identity has not been released.
- A driver has been arrested; police have not yet disclosed charges or further details.
| Item | Known information |
|---|---|
| Time of call | Approximately 2:30 a.m., Aug. 16 |
| Location | Cavan and Albert streets, downtown Nanaimo |
| Victim | Male pedestrian; identity not released |
| Driver | Arrested; charges not yet disclosed |
What’s next
RCMP investigators continue to examine the scene and collect evidence. As is standard in fatal motor-vehicle investigations, police said they will release more information when it does not compromise the investigation or privacy of those involved.
The collision has prompted renewed discussion about public safety and supports for people experiencing homelessness or substance use in central Nanaimo. Local residents and community groups have urged municipal and provincial authorities to address street-level concerns while balancing the needs of vulnerable people who rely on services downtown.
Anyone who witnessed the collision or who has dash-cam or security video from the area around Cavan and Albert streets between about 2 a.m. and 3 a.m. on Aug. 16 is asked to contact Nanaimo RCMP. Police encourage residents with information to come forward to assist the ongoing investigation.
This report will be updated as more information becomes available from Nanaimo RCMP and other official sources.