Montreal police Chief Fady Dagher acknowledged a feeling of “shame” within the Service de police de la Ville de Montréal (SPVM) as he answered public questions about serious allegations of racism, discrimination and harassment linked to officers who served in Montreal North.
Meeting at City Hall a first public reckoning
The meeting — the first time Dagher faced the public on the matter — was held Tuesday night at Montreal City Hall. It came after a months-long accumulation of complaints from residents of Montreal North, a neighbourhood where distrust of police has been voiced for more than a decade.
Dagher said he was stunned by the gravity of behaviour alleged in one case that prompted him to dismantle a 16-member patrol unit operating in Montreal North. Among the allegations, according to the chief, were claims that officers cut the hair of racialized citizens and kept it as trophies.
“That, for me, was shocking. Extremely disappointed, humiliating,” Dagher said. “I always say that I recognize that racial profiling and discrimination exist. What surprised me is the gravity of the behaviour of those two police officers in the case. And that, to be honest with you, I didn’t expect to see this in 2026.”
Two officers were suspended in connection with that incident. A third officer was suspended in an unrelated matter. Dagher said the force is responding, but warned change will take time.
Community frustration runs deep
Voices from the council chamber and community groups described the meeting as difficult but necessary. Erika Alneus, chief of the official opposition at city hall, said residents are exhausted by the pattern of complaints: “People are sick and tired of being sick and tired,” she told Global News.
Fo Niemi, executive director of the Centre for Research-Action on Race, called the dialogue “open” and “honest,” while acknowledging the emotional strain the situation has placed on residents and on the force itself.
- Police action taken so far: dismantling of a 16-member patrol unit.
- Personnel measures: two officers suspended in the Montreal North incident; a third suspended in an unrelated case.
- Public reaction: longstanding mistrust in Montreal North; calls for further transparency and independent review.
Dagher described his own difficulty in understanding the animosity that has developed between some officers and the communities they police. He did not rule out explanations but emphasised the force must confront the allegations and rebuild trust.
| Item | Detail |
|---|---|
| Patrol unit size | 16-member unit dismantled |
| Suspensions | 2 officers (Montreal North incident); 1 officer (unrelated) |
| Public forum | Special meeting at Montreal City Hall |
For residents of Montreal North, the uproar over these allegations feels like the latest episode in a longer story of strained relations with the SPVM. Community groups and some city councillors have repeatedly raised concerns about racial profiling and discrimination for more than a decade.
While Dagher stressed the need for internal measures and accountability, several speakers at the meeting and community advocates called for independent probes to ensure transparency and restore confidence.
Officials did not provide a timeline for further investigations or say whether an external inquiry would be launched. Dagher acknowledged that addressing systemic problems in policing is a long-term task and cautioned that meaningful reform will require time, resources and sustained engagement with communities.
The meeting underscored the breadth of emotion surrounding the allegations: anger, pain and a demand for concrete action. How the SPVM and city leadership respond in the coming weeks and months will be closely watched by residents of Montreal North and by communities across the city who say they have faced similar treatment.
As the force promises to work through the allegations, many in Montreal are left asking whether the changes will be rapid and deep enough to rebuild trust and ensure equitable policing across the city.