High-profile Durban businessman faces roughly 20 charges, including alleged human trafficking
A prominent Durban businessman has made his first court appearance after being arrested by members of the Hawks in the north of the city on Tuesday on a series of allegations that include human trafficking, sexual assault and kidnapping.
The 65-year-old accused, who has previously been mentioned in testimony at the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry and is publicly known to have ties to a former police minister, faces about 20 charges relating to an incident the State says occurred between February and March 2022. Prosecutors say three complainants were brought to KwaZulu‑Natal on the pretence of job offers and were allegedly held against their will for sexual exploitation.
- Arrested by the Hawks in north Durban on Tuesday.
- Faces around 20 charges, including sexual assault, kidnapping and contravening the Films and Publications Act.
- State to oppose bail; bail application is scheduled for next week.
The accused’s legal representative, Paul Jorgensen, told the court the man intends to apply for bail. Jorgensen also requested that his client be held at the Westville Prison hospital while the matter is pending and handed a medical certificate citing health issues.
Prosecutors said the charges are "extremely serious" and that the case is "highly sensitive".
The State has formally indicated it will oppose bail. The matter has been set down for a bail hearing next week, according to court filings.
Allegations and background
According to the charges outlined by prosecutors, the accused faces allegations including:
| Allegation | Detail |
|---|---|
| Human trafficking | Three complainants allegedly brought to KZN under pretence of employment and held for sexual exploitation (Feb–Mar 2022). |
| Sexual assault and kidnapping | Included among the roughly 20 charges laid by the State. |
| Distribution of classified sexually explicit material / Films and Publications Act | Counts include alleged distribution and contraventions of statutory provisions. |
Court papers and media coverage note the accused previously had a conviction for drug dealing. He has also been referenced in testimony at the Madlanga Commission, which looked into conduct by senior police officials, and is known to have connections to a former police minister. Those past matters have heightened local interest in the current case.
Local implications and next steps
The city’s residents will be watching closely: human trafficking and sexual‑exploitation cases raise concerns about vulnerable people being lured into dangerous situations under false pretences. The State’s decision to oppose bail signals it regards the allegations as serious and potentially high risk for the accused to be released pending trial.
Key next steps in the legal process are the bail hearing scheduled for next week and any subsequent preparatory court appearances as the State prepares its evidence. The Hawks led the arrest operation in north Durban, and the SA Police Service will continue to liaise with prosecuting authorities as the matter progresses.
Community organisations and service providers working with survivors of gender‑based violence and trafficking often call for early, careful handling of such cases to protect alleged victims and preserve evidence. The sensitivity of matters involving alleged exploitation, particularly where complainants reportedly came from outside the province on false pretences of employment, means support services and witness protection may be relevant as the prosecution advances.
For now, the accused remains in custody; the court will consider the bail application next week and the State has indicated formally that it will oppose release.
Journalistic standards require that allegations and charges be reported accurately and without presumption of guilt. The accused will have the opportunity to apply for bail and to answer the charges in court. Further reporting will follow as court records are updated and hearings proceed.