Mass distribution draws long lines, local officials step in
Hundreds of vehicles stretched along neighborhood streets in El Monte early Wednesday as the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank and county officials staged a large drive-through distribution aimed at feeding families facing rising food costs. Organizers said they expected to serve up to 2,000 families with prepared boxes of fresh produce, protein and shelf-stable items.
The event began officially at 9 a.m., but many people arrived hours earlier. Volunteers and food bank staff said cars began queuing as early as 5 a.m., producing long backups that at times resembled a traffic jam rather than a food line.
"I come to take food,"
said one woman who waited in line. Other residents interviewed by reporters described the distribution as a lifeline as household budgets are squeezed by higher grocery prices and shifting levels of federal assistance.
What families received
Each participating family received a box weighing about 35 pounds. Boxes included fresh fruits and vegetables — organizers specifically noted oranges and cabbages — a package of chicken and a selection of shelf-stable goods.
- Expected families: up to 2,000
- Box weight: 35 pounds
- Distribution start: 9 a.m.; lines formed as early as 5 a.m.
| Item | Detail |
|---|---|
| Partner | Los Angeles Regional Food Bank |
| Public support | County Supervisor Hilda Solis — $1 million allocated |
Local officials and volunteers respond
Los Angeles County Supervisor Hilda Solis partnered with the food bank for the giveaway and said she had set aside $1 million to support the effort. Volunteers and food bank staff worked through the late morning to maintain steady vehicle flow and to hand boxes to those in need.
Organizers described the turnout as an indicator of ongoing economic pressure in San Gabriel Valley communities, where families have reported difficulty covering grocery bills. Volunteers said the distribution ended around noon after hundreds of cars had been served.
Traffic, timing and community impact
Residents who arrived early told reporters they had to wait in long lines to receive assistance. Some community members and volunteers expressed worry that vehicle congestion could impact local traffic and emergency access during the event. City and county staff coordinated with volunteers to direct cars and limit disruptions, though exact traffic impacts were not quantified by organizers.
Food banks and nonprofits across Southern California have increased distributions in recent months to meet demand stemming from inflation and changes to federal aid programs. Organizers emphasized that the El Monte distribution was one part of broader relief work and urged those who still need help to contact the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank for information on ongoing services and future events.
How residents can get help or give support
Officials encourage residents who need food assistance to visit the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank website or to call local social service agencies for help locating resources. Those wishing to support future distributions can donate through the food bank's official channels; organizers noted that a modest monetary gift can stretch to feed multiple people when pooled through coordinated efforts.
For many families who stood in the long line on Wednesday, the distribution provided more than groceries — it offered temporary relief amid economic uncertainty. Organizers said they plan to continue partnering with county leaders to stage additional events as funding and supplies allow.