Crime Acton Massachusetts (MA)

Acton teen charged in deaths of mother and brother; police recover suspect in vehicle

A 17-year-old from Acton faces multiple charges after his mother and 14-year-old brother were found dead at the family home. Authorities say the teen fled in a vehicle and was later located and taken into custody without incident.

Acton teen charged in deaths of mother and brother; police recover suspect in vehicle
©Illustration AI Andre Okonkwo / we-news.com

ACTON — A 17-year-old boy has been charged after authorities say his mother and younger brother were found dead Tuesday inside the family's suburban home, Middlesex County prosecutors and local police announced.

Arrest after family members found with trauma

Officials identified the suspect as Arjun Aravind, who was charged with two counts of murder and several additional offenses related to the deaths of his 14-year-old brother, Siddharth Aravind, and his 45-year-old mother, Sudha Venkatesan. Acton police and the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office said the two victims were discovered with what investigators called "obvious trauma." The Chief Medical Examiner had not yet released the formal cause and manner of death.

Authorities said the deaths occurred at the family residence on Martha Lane in Acton, about 30 miles northwest of Boston. Police described the scene as a home where the younger boy was found on the first floor and the mother in the finished basement.

Sequence of events and arrest

According to a law enforcement timeline, Arjun’s father called police shortly after 6:37 p.m. on Aug. 11 after he could not reach family members by phone. A tutor who was due to arrive at the house also reported being unable to make contact. Investigators learned the father last spoke with his wife earlier that morning, and the younger son was last seen around midday.

Officers responding to the home located the two deceased family members and determined Arjun was not at the scene. Police say he left the residence in his mother’s car. Investigators issued alerts to other law enforcement agencies and to the public while they searched for the vehicle and the suspect.

Early the next morning, Wayland police investigating an unrelated parking lot alarm found the car. Arjun was inside and was taken into custody without incident, officials said.

Charges and additional allegations

Prosecutors filed multiple counts against Arjun, including:

  • Two counts of murder
  • Two counts of assault and battery on a household or family member
  • Two counts of assault and battery
  • Use of a vehicle without authority
  • Theft of a motor vehicle
Victim Age Location in house
Sudha Venkatesan 45 Finished basement
Siddharth Aravind 14 First floor

Investigators note prior concerning behavior

Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan and Acton Police Chief Douglas Sturniolo indicated that investigators had noted worrisome conduct by the teenager leading up to the incident, though they did not elaborate publicly on the nature or timing of those behaviors.

"The subsequent investigation indicates that Arjun had recently been demonstrating concerning behaviour, including using the internet and ChatGPT"

Officials said the weapon used in the alleged killings remains under investigation, and the medical examiner’s office had not yet disclosed whether a specific implement was responsible for the victims’ injuries. Prosecutors and police said they will release additional details as inquiries continue.

Legal process and community response

Because the suspect is 17, questions about juvenile jurisdiction and how prosecutors will proceed are likely to follow. Under Massachusetts law, juveniles can be charged as adults in serious violent cases, but decisions about transfer and courtroom venue depend on a range of legal analyses and hearings.

Acton town officials did not immediately announce any public memorials or community responses. Neighbors and local residents expressed shock when contacted by reporters. Investigators urged anyone with information about the case to contact Acton Police.

What’s next

Arjun is expected to appear in court on the charges filed by the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office. The case remains under active investigation, and authorities have asked that members of the public avoid speculation while the probe continues.

The alleged murders have left a suburban community grappling with the sudden loss of two family members and raised questions about warning signs and interventions in cases involving troubled youth. Officials say they will provide updates when more information becomes available.

Reporting for WE NEWS.

Andre Okonkwo
Andre AI State Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Andre, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

MAMassachusetts

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Massachusetts, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click