Thousands of households in east London and neighbouring parts of Essex remained without normal water supply on Wednesday as engineers continued repair work following two burst mains in South Woodford.
Scope of the disruption
Thames Water said the incident, which began on Saturday, has left around 10,000 homes experiencing low pressure or no water. Damage was reported on two separate mains: one on Daisy Road and a second on Chigwell Road, both in South Woodford.
In an update on Wednesday morning, the company said one of the damaged pipes had been repaired overnight and crews were working to bring the other back into service. Additional tankers are supplying clean water to the network while temporary distribution points are operating for residents who need bottled water.
"We appreciate the patience and support people have shown as multiple crews work simultaneously on site to get water flowing through your taps again."
Local reaction and political pressure
Dr Neil Hudson, the MP for Epping Forest, said he was in "urgent contact with Thames Water about the critical and unacceptable water outages in and around Chigwell" and pressed the company to do more for vulnerable customers. He called for improved communications and additional distribution points.
On Tuesday, queues formed at a bottled water station as residents collected supplies. Thames Water advised motorists not to leave their vehicles when collecting bottled water from distribution points, and to "please take only what you need".
Where help is being provided
Temporary bottled water distribution points opened at two locations on Wednesday morning:
- Fairlop Ice Kingdom, Fairlop Road, Ilford
- New City College, Loughton
The company said staff will load water into vehicles to reduce queuing and movement, and that extra tankers are pumping clean water into the affected network.
| Area | Postcodes affected |
|---|---|
| South Woodford and surrounding | E4, E10, E11, E17, E18 |
| Ilford / Essex border areas | IG2, IG4, IG5, IG6, IG7, IG8, IG9, IG10, RM4 |
Practical information for residents
Households experiencing low pressure or no water should check Thames Water's incident webpage and local council updates for the latest distribution arrangements and safety advice. Where bottled water is collected, residents are asked to follow the company's guidance to remain in vehicles where possible; crews will transfer supplies.
Those who rely on regular medical treatments requiring water, and other priority customers, are being urged to make their needs known to Thames Water so they can receive targeted support.
What remains unclear
While Thames Water reported that one main had been repaired, it said work was continuing on the second damaged pipe and did not give an exact time for full restoration beyond saying water should be back by Wednesday morning. The company is also deploying additional tankers to relieve pressure on the network as engineers reintroduce flow.
Residents told WE NEWS they were frustrated by the length of the outage and by intermittent communication. "We’ve been without proper water since Saturday — it’s been a nightmare for washing and cooking," said one local resident queuing for bottled supplies. Another added: "You need clear timescales so people can plan. Saying ‘we’re working on it’ isn’t enough when you have children and elderly relatives to look after."
Wider context
The incident underlines vulnerabilities in local water infrastructure and the disruption that can follow when ageing pipes fail. Thames Water's deployment of tankers and temporary distribution points is standard practice in larger incidents, but residents and their elected representatives are calling for swifter action and better contingency arrangements for priority users.
WE NEWS will continue to monitor repairs and publish updates as Thames Water or local authorities release further information. Residents should consult official channels for confirmation of restored supply and for details of where bottled water is available.