Police in west London have opened a murder investigation after a house fire in Hounslow resulted in the death of a 48-year-old woman and left eight other people requiring hospital treatment.
Emergency services were called to reports of a fire at a property on Berkeley Avenue at about 1.14am on Wednesday. The Metropolitan Police said the 48-year-old woman later died in hospital; a second woman, aged 40, remains in a life-threatening condition. Six men and one woman who were taken to hospital have since been discharged with what police described as minor injuries.
Scene and local reaction
Images from the road show a light-coloured terraced house badly blackened by the blaze, with damaged window panes and part of the upstairs eaves apparently melted. The front door looks badly affected and the damage extends to the neighbouring property.
On Wednesday evening a cordon stretching roughly 50 metres remained in place while forensic officers and uniformed police worked on the residential street. Neighbours described seeing an extensive emergency response in the early hours; one resident told reporters they felt shaken by the scale of damage and the possibility that the fire might have been started intentionally.
Police investigation under way
Detective Chief Inspector Neil John is leading the inquiry. He said officers were treating the incident as potentially deliberate and that enquiries were progressing rapidly to determine the full circumstances surrounding the blaze.
"Our thoughts are first and foremost with the victim’s family and loved ones at this extremely difficult time, as well as everyone who has been injured,"
He added:
"Our enquiries are progressing at pace as we work to establish the full circumstances surrounding the fire, which we believe may have been started deliberately."
There have been no arrests so far. Officers said they considered the incident to be isolated and confined to the address, but acknowledged the understandable concern within the local community.
Who was affected — a quick summary
| Category | Number |
|---|---|
| Deceased | 1 (female, 48) |
| Life-threatening injuries | 1 (female, 40) |
| Minor injuries (discharged) | 7 (six men, one woman) |
Local services, including the fire brigade and ambulance teams, remain available to support residents. The cordon has affected access on Berkeley Avenue while work continues.
What residents should know
- Police have asked anyone with information, CCTV or doorbell footage from the area around the time of the fire (shortly before and after 1.14am) to come forward.
- No arrests have been made; investigators are treating the blaze as possibly deliberate.
- Forensic teams are continuing to examine the property and neighbouring houses for evidence.
Officers from the local policing team and specialist detectives are carrying out house-to-house inquiries and speaking to witnesses. Anyone who has yet to speak to police but believes they may have information is asked to contact the Metropolitan Police.
For people living nearby, concerns persist about safety and the speed of the investigation. "You don't expect something like this on a street like ours," one neighbour said. "It's terrifying to think it might have been set on purpose." Authorities have pledged to keep the community updated as enquiries continue.
As forensic work proceeds, the police inquiry will seek to establish how the fire started, whether any criminal offences were committed and the full circumstances surrounding the victims' injuries. Detectives have emphasised they view the incident as isolated to this residential address, but are urging anyone with relevant information to contact them without delay.
The Metropolitan Police and partner agencies are balancing the need for a thorough investigation with providing reassurance and support to residents while the cordon remains in place.