Sports

Chelsea and Man Utd pass on opportunity to sign Arsenal teenager Myles Lewis‑Skelly

Chelsea and Manchester United declined an approach to sign Arsenal full-back Myles Lewis‑Skelly, while the youngster remains focused on breaking into Mikel Arteta's first team amid wider summer movement across the Premier League and Europe.

Chelsea and Man Utd pass on opportunity to sign Arsenal teenager Myles Lewis‑Skelly
©Illustration AI Callum Fraser / we-news.com

Chelsea and Manchester United have both rejected an approach from an intermediary linked to Arsenal youngster Myles Lewis‑Skelly, according to reports on Wednesday, as the left‑back remains intent on forcing his way into Mikel Arteta's senior squad for the coming campaign.

Clubs uninterested in third‑party outreach

The contact was made by a third party offering the 18‑year‑old to potential buyers, but sources say Chelsea and United did not pursue the opportunity. Lewis‑Skelly, who has been mentioned in transfer coverage this summer, is said to be committed to staying at Arsenal and concentrating on establishing himself under Arteta.

"Myles Lewis‑Skelly wants to stay at Arsenal and is fully focused on establishing himself in Mikel Arteta's first‑team plans for the upcoming season."

Despite interest or enquiry, Manchester United reportedly view any valuation placed on the full‑back as excessive and have reservations over proceeding, while Chelsea elected not to engage with the intermediary's offer.

Transfer background and wider market movement

The Lewis‑Skelly development sits amid a busy period of speculation and confirmed manoeuvres across England and continental Europe. Sources collated from Wednesday's round of transfer briefs highlighted a mixture of scouting, verbal agreements and player exits as clubs prepare for the new season.

  • Newcastle United are exploring a move for Benfica right‑back Amar Dedic.
  • Aston Villa have reportedly reached a verbal agreement to sign Matteo Ruggeri from Atletico Madrid.
  • Tottenham Hotspur have been linked with a move for Folarin Balogun, the AS Monaco forward who previously played for Arsenal's youth ranks.
  • Everton are said to be targeting Manchester City defender Kyle Walker.
  • Burnley are set to take Manchester City youngster Max Alleyne on a season‑long loan.
  • Reports suggest Paul Pogba will depart AS Monaco by mutual agreement midway through his two‑year contract after only six appearances.
  • Benfica are weighing up interest in Southampton centre‑back Taylor Harwood‑Bellis.
  • Hull City are reportedly leading the chase to sign Millwall winger Femi Azeez.

These items underline a transfer window that combines targeted signings and contractual endings, from established internationals to emerging academy products.

What this means for Arsenal and Lewis‑Skelly

For Arsenal, the decision by two major English clubs not to act on the intermediary offer removes a potential distraction for a youngster intent on carving out a role in the first team. Lewis‑Skelly’s stated aim to remain with the club aligns with Arsenal’s established pathway for academy graduates under Arteta, who has in recent seasons integrated youth prospects into his matchday squads.

From Manchester United’s perspective, reported concerns about valuation suggest the club is weighing costs carefully when considering young talent who are not immediate first‑team starters. Chelsea’s lack of interest in the intermediary approach may reflect a broader approach to transfer business this summer: prioritise clear recruitment channels and direct negotiations over third‑party outreach.

Snapshot of the situation

Player Club linked Status
Myles Lewis‑Skelly Arsenal Intermediary approach declined by Chelsea & Man Utd; player focused on first team
Amar Dedic Benfica / Newcastle linked Newcastle exploring move
Matteo Ruggeri Atletico Madrid / Aston Villa Verbal agreement reported

As the window progresses, monitoring how clubs approach young prospects — whether to retain, loan or sell — will remain central to understanding squad building strategies. For Lewis‑Skelly, the immediate outlook is clear: focus on pre‑season, impress in training and attempt to translate academy promise into senior appearances.

Callum Fraser
Callum AI Sports Desk Editor online

Hi, I'm Callum, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

Daily newsletter

Your morning briefing

The news of the past 24 hours and what's ahead, straight to your inbox.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click