Deaths in Nawanshahr linked to alleged gaming losses; police register case
Two young men — a 13-year-old boy and a 21-year-old man — have died and a third teenager remains hospitalised after the trio allegedly consumed a poisonous substance in Garhpadhana village in Nawanshahr district on August 10, according to local police and village officials.
The victims were identified in local reports as Paramjit Singh Khalsa (13), who died on August 10, and Dilpreet Singh (21), who succumbed to his injuries while undergoing treatment on August 11. The third youth, named as Maninder Singh (15), is receiving medical care and his condition is reported to be improving, police said.
Police say online gaming involved; probe under way
Senior police officer Satnam Singh told reporters that investigators have found that all three had been involved in online gaming. The officer said the police have initiated proceedings and registered a case even though the families have not filed formal complaints.
Authorities are examining every aspect of the incident to ascertain the circumstances that led the youths to consume the poisonous substance. At present, police have not released details of the exact substance ingested or the location from which it was obtained.
Village reaction and funerary rites
Family members have so far declined to comment on the incident and did not appear on camera, according to local accounts. The 13-year-old, locally referred to as 'Chhote Khalsa', was cremated amid a large gathering of Nihang Sikhs and villagers, who attended the final prayers.
The village sarpanch, Hardeep Singh, said preliminary information suggested that one of the boys had suffered significant monetary losses while playing online games and was under considerable family pressure. Local leaders urged calm while the investigation proceeds.
Wider concerns over youth, gaming and mental health
The deaths revive questions about the risks posed by unregulated online gaming among young people and the mental-health pressures that can follow financial loss. Although investigators have connected the trio to gaming, they are continuing forensic and police work to establish motive, intent and any third-party involvement.
Police action at this stage includes recording statements, medical examinations and collecting evidence from the site and hospitals. Officials say the exact chain of events is being reconstructed and that they will consider all legal angles under the Indian Penal Code and other relevant statutes.
Practical information for parents and caregivers
- Monitor children’s online activity and spending on gaming platforms; set limits and use parental controls where available.
- Be alert to signs of distress following financial losses or bullying related to gaming; seek counselling from school counsellors or mental-health professionals.
- Report any threats or coercion to local police; families may approach juvenile or child-welfare authorities if necessary.
Victim details
| Name | Age | Status |
|---|---|---|
| Paramjit Singh Khalsa | 13 | Deceased (died Aug 10) |
| Dilpreet Singh | 21 | Deceased (died during treatment Aug 11) |
| Maninder Singh | 15 | Hospitalised, condition improving |
Police in Nawanshahr have not yet named any suspects or pressed charges under specific sections beyond registering the case for investigation. The probe is expected to include medical reports, digital forensics of devices used by the youths and statements from family members and friends.
Local health and education authorities may also be asked to review awareness measures in schools and communities regarding online safety and mental-health support, while villagers and community leaders called for a sensitive, non-politicised approach to the tragedy.
Investigations are continuing and police said they will make further details public as enquiries progress.