Protesters halted near Agartala as candidates press for quick appointments
Agartala: Police on Monday intercepted a group of candidates who had qualified the 2024 Tripura Teacher Eligibility Test (TET) as they attempted to march to the residence of Chief Minister Manik Saha, protesting a prolonged delay in recruitment, Tripura Chronicle reported.
The candidates, who said they have been approaching the Teachers’ Recruitment Board, Tripura (TRBT), the Education Department and the Elementary Education Department for almost two years through deputations and demonstrations, sought simultaneous appointment of all successful applicants. They argued that delays in filling sanctioned posts were aggravating teacher shortages in several government schools across the state.
Protest organisers told Tripura Chronicle that roughly 50,000 candidates appeared for the TET and, after scrutiny, 1,856 remained eligible. They warned that continued inaction could deny jobs to aspirants nearing the upper age limit and said some candidates had already crossed 40 years of age.
- Candidates appeared: 50,000 (approx)
- Cleared and eligible after verification: 1,856
- Age-limit concerns: Around 20–25 candidates said to have crossed 40
| Item | Figure (as reported) |
|---|---|
| Candidates who appeared for TET | ~50,000 |
| Eligible after verification | 1,856 |
| Reported candidates over age limit | 20–25 |
Claims of livelihood impact and call for expedited recruitment
The demonstrators said the uncertainty has affected livelihoods. Many have relied on private tuition while awaiting government jobs, but they claimed tutoring opportunities have dwindled because parents hesitate to engage long-term tutors who may be appointed to schools later.
They clarified they were not seeking relaxation of examination standards or marks but only that appointments be made for those who cleared the TET and passed verification. The protesters also urged the state to implement regular cycles of teacher recruitment to tackle both unemployment among qualified candidates and shortages in schools.
Police action and protesters' reaction
According to the Tripura Chronicle report, police prevented the group from reaching the Chief Minister’s residence despite the demonstrators' stated intention to submit their demands peacefully. The protesters criticised the police move and appealed to the government to expedite the recruitment process.
There was no immediate comment from the state government or the Teachers’ Recruitment Board in the report. The administration’s formal response, if any, could clarify timelines for appointment and whether age-relief or other measures will be considered for those close to the maximum age limit.
Background: TET, recruitment process and wider implications
The Teacher Eligibility Test is a key qualifying examination for recruitment to government-run schools. Clearing the TET establishes eligibility; subsequent appointment depends on vacancy notifications, verification and selection by the relevant recruitment authority.
Delays between qualification and appointment can produce multiple effects: persisting vacancies in classrooms, uncertainty for candidates and potential loss of income for applicants who have been tutoring or engaged in other temporary work. The protesters argue that such gaps hamper both educational delivery and fair employment access.
What candidates want and next steps
Protesters asked for:
- Immediate initiation of appointment procedures for all eligible candidates;
- Clear timelines from TRBT and the Education Department on recruitment schedules;
- Mechanisms to protect candidates losing eligibility due to age during prolonged delays.
With no official timeline reported in the Tripura Chronicle dispatch, candidates said they would continue demonstrating until a satisfactory response is received. Observers say a formal reply from the state authorities would be required to defuse the situation and ensure verified candidates are either appointed or offered transparent, legally sound alternatives.