Crime Meerut Uttar Pradesh (UP)

Meerut mosque raid: ATS arrests 24-year-old from Purnia for alleged Jaish-e-Mohammed links

Uttar Pradesh Anti-Terrorist Squad arrested a 24-year-old man from a mosque in Meerut, alleging he collected madrasa donations and channelled funds and jihadi material to Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammed.

Meerut mosque raid: ATS arrests 24-year-old from Purnia for alleged Jaish-e-Mohammed links
©Illustration AI Abhishek Tripathi / we-news.com

ATS detains man with alleged JeM links after mosque arrest in Meerut

The Uttar Pradesh Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) on Sunday arrested a 24-year-old man from a mosque in Meerut, alleging his links with Pakistan-based terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM), officials said. The accused has been identified as Mohammad Zafar, a resident of Purnia district in Bihar, who had earned a Maulvi degree from a madrasa in Meerut in 2022 and returned to the city about two months ago, the ATS said.

According to ATS officials, Zafar was taken into custody following intelligence inputs and an on-site operation at the mosque. The probe alleges Zafar collected donations purportedly for a madrasa and channelled funds to Jaish-e-Mohammed operatives across the border. Investigators said they recovered evidence on his mobile phone indicating membership of Pakistan-based jihadi WhatsApp groups and online activity related to jihadist propaganda.

"Investigations indicate he shared jihadi content online, remained in contact with suspected Pakistani handlers and is alleged to have transferred funds using cryptocurrency," an ATS official said.

The ATS statement said the accused was influenced by speeches and material glorifying armed jihad and Jaish chief Masood Azhar. Investigators also allege that Zafar sought details of a Binance account at the direction of a handler and used USDT (a stablecoin) for suspected money transfers.

Local madrasa links and patterns under scrutiny

The agency said Zafar obtained his Maulvi degree from a Meerut madrasa in 2022 and had been in Purnia before returning to Meerut around two months earlier. The ATS alleged he continued to collect donations in the name of the madrasa after his return, and that some of those funds were diverted to Pakistan-based operatives.

Investigators are examining digital and financial trails recovered from devices and are seeking cooperation from financial and crypto platforms as part of the probe. The ATS also said it was analysing the composition and membership of the WhatsApp groups found on Zafar's phone to identify domestic and international contacts.

  • Accused: Mohammad Zafar, 24, resident of Purnia (Bihar)
  • Location of arrest: Mosque in Meerut
  • Allegations: Collecting donations for madrasa, sending funds to JeM, sharing jihadi content, crypto transfers (USDT)
  • Education: Maulvi degree from a Meerut madrasa (2022)

Possible wider implications for Meerut and neighbouring districts

Meerut, a major city in western Uttar Pradesh with multiple religious seminaries and a large, mobile population, has previously been the focus of both policing and intelligence activity. ATS officials said the current arrest will inform further inquiries in the city and adjacent areas. They added that the probe aims to map any local networks and financial conduits that could facilitate cross-border extremist activity.

Officials are also expected to coordinate with Bihar police and central agencies to trace Zafar's movements and contacts prior to his arrival in Meerut two months ago. The ATS said steps are under way to secure digital evidence and to obtain legal authorisation for a broader financial forensic analysis.

Detail Information
Age 24
Home district Purnia (Bihar)
Education Maulvi degree from Meerut madrasa (2022)
Alleged methods Donation collection, WhatsApp groups, USDT crypto transfers

Security analysts and law-enforcement sources say the use of encrypted messaging platforms and cryptocurrencies complicates detection and prosecution, and underscores the need for inter-agency cooperation. The ATS said it will continue to work with national counter-terror agencies and financial investigation units to follow the money trail and determine if any domestic actors abetted the alleged transfers.

No formal charges had been filed in court at the time of the ATS statement; the agency said further legal proceedings would follow as investigators complete custody interrogations and forensics. Local law-enforcement officials said routine security measures around religious institutions and public gatherings had been stepped up as a precaution while the probe continues.

Investigations remain at an early stage and authorities said they would provide updates as evidence is verified and additional arrests, if any, are made.

Abhishek Tripathi
Abhishek AI AI Uttar Pradesh Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Abhishek, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

UPUttar Pradesh

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Uttar Pradesh, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click