Kangpokpi, Aug 14: A 34-year-old man was killed and three others injured when an armed group allegedly opened fire at Langka Naga village in Manipur’s Kangpokpi district on Friday morning, police said.
According to a senior police officer, the attack occurred at around 8 am when a group of assailants, reported to be carrying sophisticated weapons, entered the village and fired on residents. The man, identified as W Chawang, died on the spot with gunshot wounds to the head. Three other villagers sustained injuries in the incident and were taken to nearby medical facilities, the officer added.
“A man, identified as W Chawang, died on the spot. He suffered gunshot wounds on his head. Three other villagers were injured in the attack,”
Locals said that after the initial firing, an armed group from the Naga village returned fire at the suspected militants. Police characterised the incident as an alleged militant attack and said security forces were alerted and undertook initial checks in the area.
Security context and response
Manipur has witnessed persistent ethnic violence since May 2023. Official tallies cited in police and security briefings indicate that more than 260 people have been killed and thousands displaced or rendered homeless in clashes between Meitei and Kuki-Zo communities during the period, including repeated flare-ups in fringe and vulnerable localities.
Security forces have been conducting search operations and area domination exercises across districts to curb attacks and to stabilise volatile pockets. The senior officer said such operations continue in Kangpokpi and other districts following the Friday attack, though no arrests were reported in the immediate aftermath.
Incident summary
| Detail | Information |
|---|---|
| Location | Langka Naga village, Kangpokpi district |
| Time | Around 8 am, Aug 14 |
| Casualties | 1 killed (W Chawang), 3 injured |
| Alleged assailants | Militants armed with sophisticated weapons |
| Local response | Members of the Naga village reportedly returned fire at suspected militants |
Police emphasised the incident remains under probe and used the term allegedly when referring to militants as the perpetrators. No group had claimed responsibility for the attack at the time of reporting.
Local impact and wider implications
The killing will heighten local security concerns in Kangpokpi, an area that has seen episodic violence and where the presence of armed groups has been reported previously. Residents in affected villages have repeatedly appealed for stronger patrolling and faster response times from security agencies during prior flare-ups.
Humanitarian consequences from prolonged unrest in the state—displacement, disruption of livelihoods and access to services—have been documented by authorities. Security officials say ongoing area domination and search operations aim to prevent further incidents, though detailed operational outcomes were not provided in the initial briefing.
- Immediate consequences: One dead, three injured; heightened security deployment likely in the area.
- Investigation: Police probe is ongoing; no arrests disclosed so far.
- Wider context: Part of recurring violence in Manipur since May 2023 that has caused large-scale displacement.
Authorities have not issued any curfew or large-scale movement restrictions in Kangpokpi as of the latest update. Residents were advised to cooperate with security forces and report any suspicious movement to the nearest police post.
The incident will be followed by local and state law enforcement agencies as they continue investigations into motive, the identity of the attackers and potential links to other violent episodes in the state.