Imphal: Forty‑six cadres of the proscribed Kangleipak Communist Party‑Taibanganba Group (KCP‑TG), including four women, laid down arms and formally surrendered to the Manipur government on Tuesday during a homecoming ceremony held at the 1st Manipur Rifles Parade Ground in Imphal, officials said.
What happened at the ceremony
The surrender was completed six days after Chief Minister Yumnam Khemchand Singh announced a 15‑day deadline, beginning August 12, for the handing over of illegal weapons as part of renewed efforts to restore peace in the state. A formal acceptance of surrender was signed between the government and the KCP‑Taibanganba Group at the ceremony, according to official accounts.
Haobijam Dilip, alias Taibanganba, identified as the chairperson of the outfit, signed on behalf of the group while M Veto Singh, joint secretary (home), signed for the government. Manipur Director General of Police Mukesh Singh was present and described the move as an important step towards reintegration of the cadres into civilian life.
“The success of this homecoming will not be judged by today’s event, but by how they live in the future,” the DGP said, according to officials.
Arms and ammunition surrendered
The cadres handed over a range of weapons and ammunition. Officials listed the items surrendered and their counts during the ceremony. The haul included assault rifles, rocket launchers, mortars and small arms.
| Item | Reported quantity |
|---|---|
| INSAS rifles | included among 20 arms |
| M22 rifles | included among 20 arms |
| RPGs and Lathod 40 mm launchers | included among 20 arms |
| Mortars and grenades | included among 20 arms |
| Revolvers and pistols | included among 20 arms |
| Rounds of ammunition | 216 |
Officials said a total of 20 arms and 216 rounds of ammunition were handed over. Specific counts for each weapon type were described as including INSAS rifles, M22 rifles, rocket‑propelled grenades (RPGs), Lathod 40 mm launchers, revolvers, pistols, mortars and grenades.
Rehabilitation package and conditions
The surrender was carried out under the Revised Surrender‑cum‑Rehabilitation Policy, 2018. Under that policy, each surrendered cadre is eligible for a monthly stipend of ₹6,000 for 36 months and a fixed‑deposit grant of ₹4 lakh, officials said. The government also committed to facilitating skill‑based training intended to enable livelihood generation after reintegration.
Chief Minister Yumnam Khemchand Singh praised the cadres for choosing to give up arms and said the government would extend all possible support to those who surrendered. He was reported to have reflected on the unrest that began with the violence of May 3, 2023, saying some individuals may have been driven to pick up arms in that aftermath and urging lists of grievances to be addressed through democratic means.
Context and official messaging
Government statements reiterated that peace would prevail only when people relinquish weapons. The chief minister also noted his backing for implementing a National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Manipur, while urging that democratic protest should not disrupt education or the livelihoods of daily‑wage earners—a comment made in the same public remarks at the ceremony.
The government highlighted that this surrender follows a similar move last month when 46 cadres of another faction, the Kangleipak Communist Party‑People’s War Group (KCP‑PWG), joined mainstream civilian life. Officials framed both events as part of a larger push to reduce insurgent activity and restore normalcy in affected districts.
- Number surrendered: 46 cadres, including four women.
- Weapons handed over: 20 arms and 216 rounds of ammunition (various small arms, RPGs, mortars and grenades listed).
- Rehabilitation support: ₹6,000 per month for 36 months and a ₹4 lakh fixed‑deposit grant, plus skill training, under the 2018 policy.
What remains to be seen
Officials emphasised that the long‑term success of the homecoming depends on the former cadres’ sustained reintegration into families and communities and on delivery of the promised rehabilitation measures. The DGP’s remark that future behaviour will determine success underscores the administration’s view that surrender is the first step in a longer process.
Authorities did not release further operational details such as security arrangements for the ceremony or timelines for the disbursal of rehabilitation assistance. Independent verification of individual identities and the longer‑term monitoring mechanisms for the surrendered cadres were also not provided in the official accounts released at the event.
The surrender comes amid ongoing government efforts to stabilise the state after the disturbances of 2023; officials said they would continue to pursue both disarmament and measures aimed at restoring civic order.