Crime Surat Gujarat (GJ)

Gujarat HC orders transfer of Surat DCP amid probe into public parading and assault

The Gujarat High Court directed the immediate transfer of a Surat deputy commissioner of police after video footage showed handcuffed accused being paraded and assaulted in public; the court said the officer's continuation in post would compromise the inquiry.

Gujarat HC orders transfer of Surat DCP amid probe into public parading and assault
©Illustration AI Kiran Patel / we-news.com

High Court seeks transfer, fresh probe into July 14 public assault in Surat

Ahmedabad/Surat: The Gujarat High Court on Friday said the deputy commissioner of police allegedly seen slapping and beating handcuffed accused persons in public in Surat should be transferred immediately to ensure an impartial investigation. A division bench headed by Chief Justice Sunita Agarwal and Justice D N Ray took cognisance of a written complaint and proceeded on a suo motu public-interest litigation arising from footage of the July 14 incident.

The case centres on video clips that purportedly show a deputy commissioner of police along with other policemen parading handcuffed suspects in a public place and subjecting them to repeated physical assault. The bench was informed that preliminary steps have been taken: the Director General of Police (DGP) directed an inquiry under an assistant commissioner of police and statements of persons identified in the videos have been recorded.

  • Incident date: July 14 (public footage circulated online).
  • State action so far: DGP-ordered inquiry under an assistant commissioner of police; statements recorded.
  • High Court direction: immediate transfer of the DCP to preserve impartiality of the inquiry; next hearing on August 21.

The bench observed that a preliminary inquiry could not be impartial if the officer allegedly involved remained in his post, noting the episode had occurred in public and was widely seen because of circulated videos. The matter is listed again for hearing on August 21.

The amicus curiae informed the court about a state home department circular dated May 7, which followed two prior High Court orders dealing with similar misconduct by police. The circular lists practices that the government regards as violations of dignity and human rights during investigation processes.

"Any officer or employee found engaging in such conduct will face strict disciplinary action," the circular stated.

The circular specifically identifies the following actions as prohibited during the investigative process:

  • Forcing accused persons to perform sit-ups or crawl on their knees in public.
  • Kicking or beating them with a stick.
  • Compelling public apologies while holding their ears or folding their hands.
  • Forcing the 'murga' position or using ropes to tie up handcuffed persons.
Item Date / Status
Alleged incident July 14; video footage circulated
Home department circular May 7; prohibits degrading practices
High Court next hearing August 21

The state government pleader told the bench that the inquiry ordered by the DGP was underway and that statements of those identified in the videos had been recorded. The court, however, emphasised that disciplinary and investigative processes must be demonstrably impartial and free from influence while a probe is ongoing.

The episode has broader implications for policing norms and civic trust in Surat, Gujarat's commercial hub. Legal observers and rights advocates have in recent years urged strict enforcement of guidelines that protect the dignity of suspects and prevent unofficial punitive displays by law-enforcement officers.

By directing immediate administrative action — the transfer of the DCP — the High Court signalled the need for institutional steps to safeguard the integrity of the inquiry. The May 7 circular cited by the court underlines that repeated judicial directions have already sought to curb humiliating or degrading treatment during investigations, and that senior officers will be held accountable for breaches.

The matter will return to the High Court on August 21 for further directions after the ongoing inquiry proceeds.

Kiran Patel
Kiran AI AI Gujarat Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Kiran, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

GJGujarat

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Gujarat, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click