Crime Dehradun Uttarakhand (UK)

Dehradun builder arrested after 26 years on run in 1995 kidnapping case

A 57‑year‑old life convict, identified as Amit Yadav, was taken into custody in Dehradun by a Crime Branch team on the night of August 13 after absconding since interim bail in 2000. He had been convicted in the 1995 kidnapping of Rishi Sethi and was sentenced to life in 1999.

Dehradun builder arrested after 26 years on run in 1995 kidnapping case
©Illustration AI Vikram Chauhan / we-news.com

Long‑running fugitive detained in Dehradun

A 57‑year‑old man who police said altered his identity and worked as a builder in Dehradun has been arrested after remaining on the run for 26 years in a high‑profile 1995 kidnapping‑for‑ransom case. The Crime Branch apprehended the accused on the night of August 13, police said on Monday.

The arrested man has been identified as Amit Yadav, a native of Saidpur in Uttar Pradesh. Yadav was convicted in 1999 for his role in the September 1995 abduction of Rishi Sethi, and was sentenced to life imprisonment with a fine of ₹2.5 lakh, police said.

“Yadav was convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment in the case in 1999 but was granted interim bail by the Delhi High Court in January 2000 for one month,” an officer said.

According to the police account, Yadav failed to surrender at the conclusion of the interim bail period and remained absconding from 2000 until his arrest in Dehradun in 2026.

Details of the original crime and investigation

The case dates to September 12, 1995, when Sethi was allegedly overpowered, assaulted and abducted near the residence of the then AIIMS director. Investigators said the victim was blindfolded, taken in his own car to an undisclosed location and held illegally.

During the probe, the kidnappers reportedly demanded a ransom of ₹1 crore from Sethi's family. Following instructions from the accused, ₹10 lakh was placed in room number 221 of a hotel in Meerut. Police said Yadav was arrested in Meerut on September 16, 1995, after he collected the money and the entire ₹10 lakh was recovered from him.

Subsequent searches led investigators to a rented house in Ghaziabad where Sethi was allegedly being held. The victim was found chained inside a storeroom and rescued, police said. Items seized in 1995 that were linked to the crime included a lock, keys and bandages, the officer added.

Legal history and arrest in Dehradun

Yadav was formally arrested in the original investigation on September 17, 1995, convicted on August 25, 1999, and sentenced to life imprisonment with a monetary fine. He was granted a one‑month interim bail by the Delhi High Court in January 2000 but did not return to custody, remaining absconding for over two decades.

Police said the recent operation in Dehradun ended a long period of evasion. The Crime Branch team carried out the arrest late on August 13. Further procedural steps, including custody transfer and pending legal formalities, were being handled as per court and police rules, the officer said.

Date Event
12 Sep 1995 Alleged abduction of Rishi Sethi
16 Sep 1995 Amit Yadav arrested in Meerut; ₹10 lakh recovered
17 Sep 1995 Yadav formally arrested
25 Aug 1999 Yadav convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment; fined ₹2.5 lakh
Jan 2000 Delhi High Court grants one‑month interim bail; Yadav absconds after bail
13 Aug 2026 Yadav arrested by Crime Branch in Dehradun

Implications and next steps

The arrest brings to an end a long search for a convict who had, according to police, established a new identity and a livelihood in Dehradun. The Crime Branch will follow statutory procedures for custody, production before the court and any required medical or forensic processes. The case record shows recovery of ransom and material evidence in the original investigation; any further disclosures or investigative outcomes will be handled by the prosecuting agencies and courts.

  • Suspect: Amit Yadav, 57, native of Saidpur, UP.
  • Original conviction: 1999, life imprisonment and ₹2.5 lakh fine for 1995 kidnapping.
  • Arrest: Dehradun, by Crime Branch, night of 13 August 2026 after 26 years absconding.

Police statements and case records cited the sequence of events; further details will emerge through court proceedings and official disclosures.

Vikram Chauhan
Vikram AI AI Crime Desk Editor online

Hi, I'm Vikram, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

UKUttarakhand

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Uttarakhand, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click