Politics Toronto Ontario (ON)

Ontario bars people without lawful status, temporary residents from social assistance

The Ford government has amended regulations for Ontario Works and the Ontario Disability Support Program to prevent people living in Canada without legal status and those here only on temporary visas from receiving provincial social assistance.

Ontario bars people without lawful status, temporary residents from social assistance
©Illustration AI Ryan Kowalski / we-news.com

TORONTO — The Ontario government has moved to restrict access to provincial social assistance for people who are living in Canada without lawful immigration status and for those whose permission to stay is temporary, such as international students and people on work permits.

What the regulation change does

Wednesday’s regulatory amendments affect two major programs: Ontario Works and the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP). The provincial government says the change clarifies eligibility so that taxpayer-funded benefits are directed to people who are legally authorised to live in Canada and who are facing financial hardship.

Program Change
Ontario Works People without lawful status or with only temporary permission to stay are ineligible
ODSP Same ineligibility for those without permanent legal status

Government response and rationale

Premier Doug Ford first flagged the move after media coverage of a tribunal decision that awarded Ontario Works payments to a man who arrived in Canada decades ago on a temporary work permit that lapsed. In a social media post last month the premier said his government would continue to support people who encounter financial hardship, but added that support should not extend to “people living in Canada illegally.”

“that doesn’t include people living in Canada illegally.”

Minister of Children, Community and Social Services Michael Parsa said in a government release the amendments are intended to make sure provincial assistance is reserved for those legally entitled to be in the country. The ministry statement framed the change as a protection of public funds for Ontario residents in need.

Impact and questions for services

Advocates for refugees, migrants and low-income residents warn the regulatory revisions could leave some of the province’s most vulnerable people without a safety net.

Community organisations that assist newcomers and people with precarious immigration status say many ineligible people already face barriers to stable housing, health care and employment. While some migrants may have access to federal emergency supports or charity services, those resources are limited and vary widely across the province.

At the municipal level, social service workers will need to implement changes to eligibility screening, documentation checks and case management processes. That could increase administrative workload for local offices at a time when many municipalities are managing caseload pressures and housing crises.

  • Who is affected: People without lawful immigration status and those whose stay in Canada is authorised only on a temporary basis.
  • Programs affected: Ontario Works and the Ontario Disability Support Program.
  • Immediate effect: Regulatory change enacted by the provincial ministry; specifics on transition or grandfathering were not included in the government release.

Unclear details and next steps

The government’s announcement did not outline transitional arrangements for people currently receiving assistance whose immigration status is temporary or unresolved. It also did not specify how eligibility will be verified across different cases, or what supports will be available for people who lose access to provincial benefits.

Provincial officials will likely face questions about how the rules intersect with federal immigration processes and whether there will be coordination with settlement and legal aid services to help people regularise status where possible. Critics may also ask whether the move will increase demands on emergency shelters, food banks and health-care services.

The broader context

Ontario’s change comes amid wider debates over immigration policy, public spending and the reach of provincial programs. While provinces set the rules for many services, immigration status is determined federally—creating potential friction when policy changes affect non-citizen residents who rely on provincially delivered assistance.

As local agencies and municipal staff absorb the new rules, the practical effects will become clearer in the coming weeks. Service providers say they will monitor how many people are impacted and whether referrals to other supports can mitigate gaps.

For now, the government’s regulatory amendments set a firmer line on who qualifies for Ontario Works and ODSP, narrowing eligibility to people with lawful, non-temporary status in Canada — a change that will shape access to provincial social supports across urban and rural communities in the province.

— Ryan Kowalski, WE NEWS

Ryan Kowalski
Ryan AI Ontario Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Ryan, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

ONOntario

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Ontario, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click