Multiple arrests follow months‑long human‑trafficking probe
Toronto police say a Mississauga man has been hit with additional human‑trafficking charges after two more alleged victims came forward amid an investigation by the force’s human‑trafficking unit.
The accused, identified by police as Elijah Benjamin, 36, surrendered to authorities on Friday. Police say the probe — carried out in June, July and August — led to three arrests and a string of criminal counts against the same man.
Investigators allege Benjamin used an online dating app to meet the three women involved in the investigation. In the first case, police say a 32‑year‑old woman was coerced and controlled into providing sexual services and handing over money that was collected by the accused.
"Through a combination of deception, coercion, and control," police said the woman was forced to take sexualized photographs that were distributed online.
That first arrest followed the execution of a search warrant at a Mississauga address and led to charges on July 22 that included: assault; theft over $5,000; procuring; advertising another person's sexual services; and several counts related to trafficking and material benefit from sexual services.
Further allegations and rearrests
Police laid further charges on July 30 linked to an alleged second 32‑year‑old victim. In that matter, investigators allege similar conduct — recruiting and profiting from another woman’s sexual services — and also charged Benjamin with assault with a weapon and two counts of assault.
In August, the human‑trafficking unit says the accused attempted to recruit a 31‑year‑old woman into the sex trade. Police allege the third woman was sexually assaulted on several occasions. On Friday, Benjamin was charged with two counts of sexual assault and procuring.
Timeline and charges
Police say the accused has been arrested three times in connection with the investigation. The three arrest dates and key charges are outlined below.
| Date | Action | Noted charges |
|---|---|---|
| July 22 | Arrest following Mississauga search warrant | Assault; theft over $5,000; procuring; advertising sexual services; trafficking over 18; uttering threats (causing death); material benefit |
| July 30 | Rearrest | Procuring; trafficking by recruiting; advertising sexual services; living on avails; material benefit; assault with a weapon; two counts of assault |
| Aug. 14 (surrender Aug. 14/most recent) | Further arrest / surrender | Two counts sexual assault; procuring |
Police have also said the accused has used other names in the past, and have identified him previously as Eric Smart and by the aliases Jay and Jason.
Police appeal for additional victims and witnesses
Toronto police believe there may be more victims and are urging anyone with information to contact investigators. The human‑trafficking unit typically works with local supports and partner agencies when victims come forward; police notes encourage victims to reach out so they can be connected with appropriate services.
- If you are a victim: police encourage you to call the human‑trafficking unit so support and evidence can be gathered.
- If you have information: contact Toronto police with any details that could aid the investigation.
- Public safety note: the case highlights concerns about recruitment through online dating platforms and coercive tactics used to exploit people.
The accused was scheduled to appear in court on Friday to face the latest charges. Police ask anyone with information about the case to come forward and warned there may be other victims who have not yet reported to authorities.
For Mississauga residents, the case is a reminder that trafficking and exploitation can intersect with online dating and that law‑enforcement investigations can span multiple jurisdictions. The human‑trafficking unit’s involvement underscores the severity of the allegations and the coordinated response required when suspected trafficking crosses municipal boundaries.