HALTON — Halton Regional Police have charged an 18-year-old Kitchener resident in connection with a brazen early-morning home invasion in Burlington’s southwest Aldershot neighbourhood that left residents shaken and three suspects still at large.
Arrest follows months-long probe
Police announced Friday that they arrested Manav Kotak, 18, in relation to the incident that occurred in the early hours of April 26. Investigators say that four masked suspects smashed a first-floor window to enter a home while the occupants were asleep and later confronted them while armed.
According to the Halton Regional Police Service, the suspects were equipped with a gun and a knife, made demands for valuables and left the scene with several pieces of jewellery surrendered by the residents. The group then fled in a vehicle later determined to be stolen.
Charges and ongoing investigation
Kotak was arrested on June 25 and has since been charged with three offences, including armed robbery, pointing a firearm and disguise with intent. Police say the investigation into the event has been ongoing for months and that three suspects remain unidentified and at large.
"The investigation is ongoing," said Halton Regional Police in its public announcement, urging anyone with information to come forward.
- Incident date: April 26 (early morning)
- Location: Southwest Aldershot neighbourhood, Burlington
- Arrest: Manav Kotak, 18 (arrested June 25)
- Charges: Armed robbery; pointing a firearm; disguise with intent
- Status: Three suspects remain at large; investigation ongoing
Local context and community concerns
The brazen nature of the break-in — forced entry through a first-floor window while residents slept — underscores continuing concerns about residential safety in Burlington neighbourhoods that border the urban-rural fringe. Aldershot, a long-established community in southwest Burlington, is home to families, older residents and commuters alike, and incidents of violent home invasion are rare but resonate strongly when they occur.
Police descriptions indicate the suspects were masked and prepared to use force. Residents in the area have previously told reporters that visible signs of police activity and court proceedings help restore a sense of security; the arrest of one suspect will be welcomed, but authorities stress that the matter is not closed until all individuals involved are identified and held to account.
What police are asking of the public
Halton Regional Police have appealed for anyone with information related to the April 26 incident to contact investigators. Small details — a sighting of a suspicious vehicle, dashcam footage, or information about the stolen vehicle used to flee the scene — can be important as detectives reconstruct movements before and after the break-in.
| Item | Detail |
|---|---|
| Suspects | Four masked individuals; one charged, three sought |
| Weapons | Gun and knife (alleged) |
| Stolen property | Several pieces of jewellery |
For Burlington residents, this case highlights the value of home security measures and neighbourhood watch efforts. Police investigations like this one can take time as detectives piece together evidence, identify co-conspirators and build cases suitable for court. In the meantime, Halton police continue active follow-up work.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Halton Regional Police Service. Tips can help locate the remaining suspects and provide closure to the affected household and the surrounding community.