Guelph police have laid criminal charges in the death of an infant who was found in a downtown apartment in late January 2023, closing a chapter of an investigation that officers describe as extensive.
Charges announced after multi-year probe
Police said Tuesday that a 36-year-old man and a 30-year-old woman from the Guelph area have been charged in connection with the death of a 20-month-old boy. The two face charges of criminal negligence causing death and two counts each of failing to provide the necessities of life to a child.
Officers say the child was discovered dead in the family's apartment near downtown Guelph in late January 2023. A four-year-old child also lived in the home at the time.
Police say they conducted an extensive investigation into the boy's death.
What police have said and what remains unknown
The local detachment has not released further details about the circumstances that led to the infant's death, nor have they disclosed information about when the accused will next appear in court. The ages of the accused were provided by police as part of their media release: a 36-year-old man and a 30-year-old woman from the area.
Beyond the criminal counts, police statements have emphasised the length and depth of the inquiry. No additional charges or information about potential forensic findings were included in the release.
Charges at a glance
| Accused | Age | Charges |
|---|---|---|
| Man | 36 | Criminal negligence causing death; two counts of failing to provide the necessities of life to a child |
| Woman | 30 | Criminal negligence causing death; two counts of failing to provide the necessities of life to a child |
Local consequences and context
The charges reopen a painful episode for the neighbourhood where the family lived. Incidents involving children draw intense public attention and often prompt calls for clarity about child-protection processes and supports available to vulnerable families. Police did not comment on whether Child Protective Services or other agencies were involved previously or during the investigation.
Guelph has seen a mix of urban and suburban pressures as population growth and housing demand have affected family life in recent years. While the police release did not link this case to broader systemic issues, residents and service providers sometimes view serious child-injury or death investigations through the lens of community resources, access to health and social services, and housing stability.
Next steps
The Canadian Press first reported the charges on Aug. 12, 2026. Police said the arrests were made on Tuesday; they confirmed the accused are in custody. No names have been released by police in the media statement.
- Offences: criminal negligence causing death; two counts of failing to provide the necessities of life to a child (per accused)
- Victim: 20-month-old boy found dead in late January 2023
- Other children: a four-year-old also lived in the apartment at the time
As the case proceeds through the justice system, further details are expected to emerge at court appearances. Police and provincial agencies typically disclose additional information only as required by investigation and legal processes.
Members of the public with concerns about child welfare are reminded that children’s aid societies and local police remain the primary points of contact for reporting and support.
Reporting from Guelph.