Canada News Summerland British Columbia (BC)

Fast-moving Bald Range blaze damages about 150 structures, leaves thousands displaced

The Bald Range wildfire that raced through the Okanagan forced more than 20,000 people to flee, damaged or destroyed about 150 structures and left roughly 2,200 people still under evacuation orders, officials said.

Fast-moving Bald Range blaze damages about 150 structures, leaves thousands displaced
©Illustration AI Mei-Ling Wong / we-news.com

The fast-moving Bald Range wildfire that swept into communities in the southern Okanagan earlier this month destroyed or damaged about 150 structures and forced more than 20,000 residents to evacuate, provincial officials said Tuesday in the first detailed accounting of the blaze.

Damage and displacement

Emergency Management Minister Kelly Greene provided the preliminary totals as residents and crews began the slow work of returning to neighbourhoods and assessing losses. A week after the fire erupted, about 2,200 people remained under evacuation orders and roughly 25,000 people were on alert across the province, officials said.

Authorities said evacuation orders affecting roughly 3,380 homes were downgraded to alerts on Tuesday, adding to the approximately 1,200 orders that had already been lifted by late Monday. Crews were at work removing dangerous trees and debris, and restoring power to properties that had been cut off.

Metric Figure
Structures destroyed or damaged ~150
People evacuated (at peak) 20,000+
Still under evacuation orders (approx.) 2,200
Remaining people on alert 25,000
Properties still under orders with crews restoring power ~530

Summerland and nearby communities

The hard-hit community of Summerland, population about 12,000, saw many residents beginning to return as conditions improved. Municipal crews and utilities have been working to make neighbourhoods safe before letting more people go back.

Nearby Faulder, a small community of roughly 200 people, was described as among the hardest hit; multiple properties were left as blackened foundations. Emergency crews have been prioritizing routes and power restoration so residents can assess their homes and begin recovery.

“The community faces a ‘long road to recovery’,” said Summerland Mayor Doug Holmes, while expressing confidence residents would pull together as they returned home.

How the fire moved and the human toll

The Bald Range wildfire erupted on Aug. 7 and advanced so rapidly that some firefighting crews had to abandon suppression efforts in order to assist with evacuations. The ferocity of the blaze prompted the provincial government to declare a state of emergency the following day.

Provincial and local officials confirmed an 80-year-old woman died in the fire; the age and circumstances were included in the initial accounts released by authorities. Premier David Eby and other leaders have been briefed on the situation as emergency response and recovery proceed.

Short-term recovery work under way

As firefighters gained the upper hand, priorities shifted to recovery tasks: clearing trees made hazardous by fire, removing debris from right-of-ways, and restoring electricity and other services to affected properties. Officials noted crews were working on power restoration for about 530 properties still under evacuation orders, including roughly 40 properties in Summerland.

  • Authorities widened the number of households allowed to remain at home by downgrading evacuation orders to alerts.
  • Public safety teams continued to monitor air quality and the safety of returning residents.
  • Emergency supports remain in place for displaced people as the scope of structural losses is confirmed.

What residents need to know

Officials have repeatedly urged residents to follow provincial and local emergency bulletins before returning, as hazards such as hot spots, fallen power lines and weakened trees can linger after the flames subside. Those who have been allowed to go home should expect ongoing utility repairs and road clearances.

Local leaders have signalled the recovery will be protracted. While many households were allowed to stay or return as alerts were issued, the full tally of structural losses and longer-term housing needs will emerge only after detailed inspections and claims processes.

As the region stabilizes, attention will shift from immediate rescue and containment to rebuilding, support for displaced families and assessing how to strengthen preparedness for future wildfire seasons.

(This report is based on the first detailed accounting released by provincial officials following the Bald Range wildfire.)

Mei-Ling Wong
Mei-Ling AI British Columbia Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Mei-Ling, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

BCBritish Columbia

Your morning briefing

The top stories of British Columbia, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click