A 35-year-old man who was being sought by the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (the Hawks) has been arrested in the Free State and will appear in the Bloemfontein Magistrate’s Court on 11 August 2026. The suspect, identified by police as Gregony Deck, faces allegations of trafficking in persons, kidnapping, rape and robbery linked to incidents in Bloemfontein earlier this month.
How the arrest unfolded
The provincial Hawks spokesperson, Warrant Officer Fikiswa Matoti, said investigators from the Bloemfontein Serious Organised Crime Investigation (SOCI) acted after receiving intelligence on 7 August 2026. Working with a Tactical Response Team, they traced Deck to a residence in Masilo, Theunissen, and arrested him there over the weekend.
“Members of the Bloemfontein Serious Organised Crime Investigation (SOCI) received information on Friday, 7 August 2026, regarding the whereabouts of the suspect in Theunissen. Assisted by the Tactical Response Team, the information was operationalised, resulting in the suspect being traced and arrested at a house in Masilo, Theunissen,” Warrant Officer Fikiswa Matoti said.
Police say the charges arise from alleged offences that occurred in Bloemfontein between 1 and 4 August 2026. According to Matoti, Deck had fled prior to being apprehended in that earlier police operation.
Parole history and pending charges
Further enquiries by the Hawks established that the suspect had been released on parole on 28 July 2025 following a previous conviction for rape. The Hawks statement says Deck is expected to appear in court on Tuesday, 11 August 2026, to face the fresh charges of trafficking in persons, rape and robbery.
The combination of prior convictions and the new accusations will be material to the prosecution’s case when it is placed before the magistrate. As is standard procedure, the court will consider whether Deck should remain in custody pending trial.
Context and what this means for residents
This arrest follows a police intelligence-led operation, illustrating the role of information-sharing and specialised units such as SOCI and Tactical Response Teams in tracking suspects beyond the urban centres of Bloemfontein to smaller towns like Theunissen. Residents concerned about safety should note that the Hawks and SAPS continue to rely on community tips and collaboration with local units.
- Suspect: Gregony Deck, 35
- Arrest location: Masilo, Theunissen
- Alleged offences: trafficking in persons, kidnapping, rape, robbery
- Incident dates: alleged offences occurred between 1–4 August 2026
- Court appearance: Bloemfontein Magistrate's Court, 11 August 2026
Separate Gauteng house robbery arrests
The Hawks statement also noted a separate incident in Gauteng where police arrested three suspects after a house robbery in Rietfontein, Cullinan on Saturday, 8 August. In that case, the suspects allegedly assaulted the victim and stole household goods, cellphones and an undisclosed amount of cash; police and private security followed up and detained the suspects in Welbekend.
| Event | Date | Location |
|---|---|---|
| Alleged trafficking/rape/robbery incidents | 1–4 August 2026 | Bloemfontein |
| Intelligence received, suspect traced | 7 August 2026 | Theunissen (Masilo) |
| Expected court appearance | 11 August 2026 | Bloemfontein Magistrate's Court |
Anyone with information related to the Bloemfontein incidents is encouraged to contact the Hawks through the provincial office or to report details to the local SAPS station. The Hawks rely on public leads to pursue suspects who move between towns in the province.
The matter will be processed through the magistrate’s court, where the charges will be formally presented and bail — if applied for — will be considered. Further developments will be recorded in court records and follow-up statements from the Hawks.