Education officials probe footage from Prestige Secondary School
The North West Department of Education has opened an investigation after a video circulating on social media appears to show a principal striking learners at Prestige Secondary School in Alabama, Klerksdorp. Department spokesperson Dr Elias Malindi confirmed officials became aware of the footage on Wednesday and that a team was dispatched to the school to investigate.
The footage, which spread widely online, shows what appears to be a principal using a stick-like object to strike pupils in front of their classmates. The department said it was "aware of it and are attending to the matter," and that any further action would be decided once the investigation had been completed.
Legal framework and possible consequences
Corporal punishment in South African schools has been prohibited since the South African Schools Act of 1996. Section 10 of the Act explicitly states that no person may administer corporal punishment to a learner at a school. The Act also makes clear that anyone who administers corporal punishment is guilty of an offence and may face criminal charges for assault.
The department did not, at the time of confirmation, specify whether disciplinary suspension or criminal referrals had already been instituted in this case. It said decisions about further action would follow the outcome of the probe.
Community concerns and the wider context
Reports of physical punishment in schools periodically surface across the country despite the long-standing ban. For Klerksdorp parents and guardians, the circulation of such a video raises immediate questions about pupil safety, oversight at the school level, and how quickly education authorities and the South African Police Service (SAPS) might act if criminal conduct is suspected.
Key facts from the department's statement and the legislation:
- Location: Prestige Secondary School, Alabama, Klerksdorp
- Action taken: Department team dispatched to the school after footage emerged
- Law: Corporal punishment banned under the South African Schools Act, 1996 (Section 10)
"We are aware of it and are attending to the matter," Dr Elias Malindi said, adding that a decision on further action will be taken after the investigation.
What parents and residents should expect next
Local residents can expect the department to conduct interviews, review the footage and gather statements from learners, staff and witnesses as part of its internal disciplinary process. If the probe uncovers evidence that an offence was committed, the matter can be referred to SAPS for possible criminal investigation and prosecution.
Schools must also comply with child protection and safeguarding protocols. Where learners require medical or psychosocial support following an incident, the school and district officials should facilitate access to appropriate services.
| Issue | What it means |
|---|---|
| Investigation | Department team on site; evidence collection and statements expected |
| Legal status | Corporal punishment illegal; possible criminal charges for assault |
| Next steps | Disciplinary outcome pending; potential SAPS referral |
The department did not provide a timeline for the completion of its investigation. For parents concerned about pupils' wellbeing, the immediate route is to contact the school or the North West Department of Education's district office for confirmation of protective measures and to ask what support is being made available to learners affected by the incident.
This investigation touches on a sensitive issue for the Klerksdorp community: enforcement of the ban on corporal punishment and ensuring that schools are safe spaces for learning. The department's probe will determine whether internal disciplinary measures or criminal proceedings are warranted in this case.