Police and emergency teams continued a painstaking search through unstable rubble at a mine near Rustenburg on Tuesday after a collapse that left 14 suspected illegal miners dead and eight people injured. Authorities said the scene remains hazardous and that a further collapse has occurred since the initial incident.
Operations hampered by dangerous conditions
Officers described the site as unstable and said private security personnel and police were limiting access while investigators and rescue personnel methodically cleared debris to establish whether anyone else remained trapped. A secondary collapse was reported after the initial incident, complicating recovery work.
Of those injured, police said five were still receiving hospital treatment under police guard. No further details about their identities or medical conditions were provided.
Site ownership and alleged illegal mining
Police said the operation is on property operated by Sustenza Trading, a company licensed to mine platinum group metals (PGMs). They allege the site had been infiltrated by a group of suspected illegal miners who entered the property without being detected by private security.
Police emphasised that monitoring and enforcement at licensed mining sites fall under the Department of Mineral Resources and Energy (DMRE), and said they had been unaware of the alleged illegal mining activity prior to the collapse. The incident has raised fresh questions about how security and regulatory oversight are implemented at closed, abandoned or lightly guarded shafts and waste-rock dumps.
Local impact and community concerns
Collapsed dumps and abandoned shafts are a persistent danger in mining regions around Rustenburg, where economic hardship and high unemployment drive people to seek informal work in and around mines. The loss of 14 lives in a single incident is likely to heighten concern in surrounding communities about access control, the condition of derelict infrastructure and the effectiveness of steps taken to prevent illegal entry.
- Fatalities: 14 suspected illegal miners
- Injured: Eight people; five remain in hospital
- Site operator: Sustenza Trading (licensed for PGMs)
- Authority responsible for mining oversight: DMRE
| Category | Number |
|---|---|
| Dead | 14 |
| Injured | 8 (5 in hospital) |
Security and investigation
Police said the area remains under heavy security, with private guards patrolling the perimeter while access is tightly controlled. Investigators and emergency personnel are focused on accounting for everyone who may have been at the site when the collapse occurred.
The ongoing operation will include a careful search of the unstable heap and surrounding areas to ensure there are no further victims. Police did not provide a timeline for how long the search would continue, and warned that the danger of further shifts in the rubble could prolong recovery efforts.
Questions for regulators and operators
The incident points to several pressing questions: how effectively are licensed sites monitored, what measures are in place to prevent illegal entry, and how are derelict or inactive portions of mine property secured? The DMRE is the statutory body responsible for oversight, while mine operators are expected to secure their property and manage waste-rock dumps to prevent hazards.
Local residents and workers affected by the tragedy are likely to demand answers about security lapses and community safety. Labour groups and unions that work with mineworkers may also push for clearer measures to prevent future deaths tied to illegal mining and to provide safer income alternatives for vulnerable households.
For now, police have said their priority is to methodically scour the unstable rubble and account for everyone who may have been at the site when the collapse occurred. Further statements are expected as investigations and recovery operations progress.
Reporting from Rustenburg will continue as authorities release more details.