HOT SPRINGS — A 64-year-old Hot Springs man indicted in Hawaii on multiple felony charges has posted $355,000 bail and will be permitted to remain in Arkansas as his case proceeds, court records show.
Indictment, plea and next court dates
Timothy Efird entered a not guilty plea Tuesday in Kona Circuit Court after a grand jury returned an indictment charging him with first- and second-degree sexual assault, kidnapping and domestic abuse aggravated by strangulation. Third Circuit Chief Judge Wendy DeWeese scheduled a jury trial to begin Dec. 8 and set a pretrial conference for Oct. 14; Efird is allowed to appear at the October hearing by Zoom, according to the court file.
Allegations from two incidents during Hawaii vacation
According to police documents and a domestic violence statement filed by the alleged victim, the incidents occurred while Efird and the woman — identified in records as his fiancée and also from Arkansas — were on vacation in West Hawaii. The woman and her three children arrived in Kona with Efird on the evening of July 30.
“When I told him to stop he put his arm … around my neck and told me to shut the f*** up and tightened his grip,”
The filing describes two separate early-morning incidents. The first is said to have taken place the morning of July 31 while the couple was in bed at a vacation rental on Puukala Road in Kailua-Kona. The second alleged assault is described as happening the morning of Aug. 4 at a condominium on Waikoloa Road. The victim wrote that after the later incident she showered, sat on the toilet and cried, and then made plans to leave with her children at the first opportunity.
Arrest and charges
Police arrested Efird at the Waikoloa condominium the same day as the alleged Aug. 4 incident. Court records indicate the charges originally filed stem from those two alleged sexual assaults as well as allegations of kidnapping and domestic abuse with strangulation. The indictment followed a Kailua-Kona grand jury proceeding earlier this week.
| Item | Detail |
|---|---|
| Defendant | Timothy Efird, 64, Hot Springs |
| Charges | First- and second-degree sexual assault; kidnapping; domestic abuse aggravated by strangulation |
| Bail | $355,000 |
| Plea | Not guilty |
| Next court dates | Oct. 14 pretrial (Zoom permitted); Dec. 8 jury trial |
Victim statement details contact and control allegations
In the domestic violence statement, the woman wrote that Efird allegedly removed her phone, restricted her movements, called her derogatory names and threatened to cancel return plane tickets for her and the children. She described taking her children and leaving as her plan after the second incident.
- Alleged victims: The woman is from Arkansas and identified as Efird’s fiancée; three minors were present during the trip.
- Location of alleged incidents: Vacation rental on Puukala Road (Kailua-Kona) and condominium on Waikoloa Road.
- Legal status: Indicted by a grand jury; pleaded not guilty and released on bail pending trial.
Procedural and community context
Efird’s ability to remain in Arkansas while the case moves forward reflects the court’s decision to set bail and apply conditions that allow him to return home rather than remain in custody in Hawaii. The Dec. 8 jury trial date gives both prosecution and defense time to prepare; the Oct. 14 pretrial will allow lawyers to address evidentiary and procedural matters before trial.
The charges are among the most serious available under Hawaii law. If convicted, first-degree sexual assault and aggravated domestic abuse carry significant potential penalties. Court documents do not list a public defender or defense attorney for Efird in the available records, and there was no immediate public comment from prosecutors or defense counsel.
What’s next
The defendant will be required to comply with any bail conditions set by the court while living in Arkansas. Both sides are expected to exchange evidence and file pretrial motions ahead of the December trial date. As of this report, the prosecution’s narrative is based on the victim’s written statements and the arrest report; guilt or innocence will be determined through the judicial process.
WE NEWS will continue to monitor court filings and hearings in this case and provide updates as additional public records become available.