Gov. Kelly Armstrong announced Wednesday that he has lifted the state's prohibition on TikTok for government-owned devices, reversing an executive action first issued in 2022 that barred the app over concerns about foreign ownership and cybersecurity.
What changed: ownership and legal guidance
The administration said the move follows a restructuring of TikTok's U.S. operations that placed control in the hands of a majority-American consortium. The company announced the new joint venture earlier this year, which included changes to ownership stakes and to the makeup of the platform's U.S. board.
Armstrong's executive order also cites a July opinion from the U.S. Department of Justice's Office of Legal Counsel as part of the legal framework informing the decision.
State device access — a review process remains
The North Dakota Information Technology department will continue to oversee access. State employees who wish to use TikTok on government-issued phones, tablets or computers must seek permission through the department's review process.
The administration said the state IT agency has evaluated the app and determined it "
no longer presents an unmitigated or unique cybersecurity threat to state operations." That assessment underpinned the rescission of the 2022 order, which had been issued amid national debate over apps owned or controlled by foreign firms.
Universities keep their separate restriction
The North Dakota University System (NDUS) maintains its own policy blocking access to TikTok on public college and university networks and on institution-owned devices. Students, faculty and staff may still use TikTok on private devices that are not connected to campus systems.
Billie Jo Lorius, a spokesperson for NDUS, said the State Board of Higher Education could review and potentially revise the university policy at a future meeting, but the governor's order does not automatically change that systemwide rule.
Timeline
| Year/Month | Action |
|---|---|
| 2022 | Statewide ban on TikTok for government devices issued under former governor. |
| January (this year) | TikTok announced U.S. joint venture placing management and ownership stakes with American-led consortium. |
| July (this year) | U.S. DOJ Office of Legal Counsel issued opinion referenced by state. |
| Aug. 12, 2026 | Governor rescinds the 2022 ban for state-owned devices. |
What this means for state workers and the public
Employees who rely on state-issued equipment should not assume immediate, unchecked access. Instead, they must follow the department's established procedures to request permission. The review is intended to ensure agency-specific risks are considered before allowing the app on systems that handle sensitive data or connect to critical infrastructure.
For users of campus networks and institutional devices, the university policy remains unchanged for now; those who access TikTok through personal mobile phones or home networks can continue to use the app independent of the state's decision.
Broader context and local implications
North Dakota's reversal mirrors a national conversation over whether apps once controlled by foreign companies pose an ongoing, unique cyber threat after ownership or governance changes. State officials framed the move as a measured response to updated circumstances and legal analysis rather than a blanket endorsement of the platform.
Practically, reopening the possibility of TikTok on state equipment could affect communications teams, public information officers and agencies that use social media for outreach. Agencies that decide to permit the app will still need to document mitigations and follow cybersecurity protocols established by the state IT department.
- Access on state devices: Allowed only after IT department review and approval.
- University networks: TikTok remains blocked on campus networks and institutional devices.
- Personal devices: Students, staff and the public may continue to use TikTok on private devices and personal networks.
State officials did not release additional detail on the criteria the IT department will use in its approval process or a timeline for agencies to submit and receive decisions. The administration pointed to the ownership transition and the DOJ opinion as the principal drivers for rescinding the older order.
Requests for further comment were directed to the governor's office and the North Dakota Information Technology department. Coverage of potential changes at the university system will depend on any future action by the State Board of Higher Education.
— Reporting by the WE NEWS state desk.