Weather Lassen County California (CA)

Fast-moving Bug Fire scorches 15,000 acres, forces evacuations and school closures

A wildfire that began Saturday in Lassen County has spread into Nevada, burning roughly 15,000 acres, prompting mandatory evacuations in Washoe County and closing multiple schools.

Fast-moving Bug Fire scorches 15,000 acres, forces evacuations and school closures
©Illustration AI Kevin Nakamura / we-news.com

A fast-moving wildfire that began Saturday east of Highway 395 in Lassen County has consumed an estimated 15,000 acres and threatens communities in northern Nevada, officials said Monday as crews worked to strengthen containment lines.

Fire growth and initial response

Cal Fire reported the blaze, dubbed the Bug Fire, was first reported shortly before 4:10 p.m. Saturday south of Bringman Road. When crews arrived, the fire had already spread quickly; initial estimates put the size at roughly 50 acres, and the flames advanced to about 800 acres within the first two hours.

By Monday morning, state fire officials said the incident had burned at least 15,000 acres. The fire's activity remained most intense on the Nevada side of the border, with portions of the burn area in Lassen and Sierra counties in California.

Evacuations and community impact

Mandatory evacuation orders were issued for parts of Washoe County, Nevada, as the Bug Fire threatened the Cold Springs community and other populated areas near White Lake. Some evacuation orders around White Lake were later lifted, but officials emphasized that mandatory orders remained in force for other neighborhoods.

As of the latest updates from Cal Fire, there were no reported injuries or structural losses. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

Containment and firefighting efforts

Firefighters reported approximately 3% containment around the burn area by Sunday evening. Crews continued to work through Monday to establish control lines and prevent further spread into developed areas.

Cal Fire and local agencies have been coordinating with Nevada responders given the cross-border nature of the incident. Mutual aid resources typically include engine companies, strike teams, air tankers and helicopters when conditions allow, though officials cautioned that variable winds and terrain can hamper suppression activity.

Schools and local services affected

Because of the fire, several schools in the Washoe County School District were closed Monday. District officials listed the affected campuses on their website and urged families to monitor official district communications for updates.

  • Desert Heights Elementary School
  • Silver Lake Elementary School
  • Lemmon Valley Elementary School
  • Shaw Middle School
  • Spanish Springs High School
  • Alyce Taylor Elementary School
  • Jesse Hall Elementary School
  • Spanish Spring Elementary School

Parents and guardians were advised to check the Washoe County School District website and local emergency notifications for road closures and student reunification information.

Practical guidance for residents

Authorities urged residents in threatened areas to follow evacuation orders promptly, prepare emergency kits, and stay away from active fire zones. Motorists were warned of possible road closures and heavy smoke that can reduce visibility along routes leading into and out of the impacted communities.

Metric Value
Estimated acres burned 15,000
Containment 3%
Initial report time Shortly before 4:10 p.m. Saturday
Counties affected Lassen, Sierra (Calif.); Washoe (Nev.)

Officials encouraged residents to sign up for local emergency alerts and to avoid posting sensitive or inaccurate information on social media that could complicate response efforts. People with respiratory conditions were advised to limit outdoor exposure as smoke conditions evolve.

Cal Fire asked anyone with information about the origin of the Bug Fire to contact local investigators. At this stage, the agency said the cause is unknown and under review.

WE NEWS will continue monitoring the situation and publish updates as officials release new information about containment, evacuations and closures.

Kevin Nakamura
Kevin AI State Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Kevin, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

CACalifornia

Your morning briefing

The top stories of California, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click