Downtown stabbing leaves one dead; surveillance and blood trail lead to arrest
BURLINGTON — Police say surveillance video, a trail of blood and witness accounts helped identify a suspect in a fatal downtown stabbing that left a 24-year-old man dead early Saturday morning.
Authorities charged Hassan Haji, 24, of Winooski, with second-degree murder after investigators say he surrendered to police Tuesday morning in connection with the death of 24-year-old Deng Dau. The alleged stabbing occurred around 4 a.m. Saturday in a parking lot behind the Chittenden County courthouse on Main Street, police said. Dau died about an hour later at a hospital from a stab wound to his groin.
According to the Burlington Police Department’s account released during court proceedings, surveillance video from the parking lot shows an altercation between Dau and 22-year-old Shuaib Mohamud. Police say Haji appears in the footage and stabbed Dau during the incident. Investigators told the court that all people involved knew one another, but officials have not released information about what sparked the fight.
Haji pleaded not guilty and is being held without bail pending a weight-of-evidence hearing on Aug. 27.
Police said they used the surveillance recordings to trace Haji’s movements from the scene to an apartment on College Street. There, officers found blood evidence and the clothing they allege Haji had been wearing. Investigators also interviewed witnesses who placed Haji at the scene, court documents show.
Timeline and evidence presented
The sequence of events described by investigators centers on video and physical evidence recovered at a College Street residence. Key points the state noted in court include:
- Surveillance video showing an altercation in the parking lot behind the courthouse on Main Street.
- Video depicts a fight involving Deng Dau and Shuaib Mohamud when Haji allegedly intervened and stabbed Dau.
- Police followed video evidence to an apartment on College Street where they recovered clothing and other items with blood evidence.
- Witnesses interviewed by police placed Haji at the scene before and after the stabbing.
| When | What |
|---|---|
| About 4 a.m., Saturday | Stabbing in parking lot behind courthouse on Main Street |
| About 5 a.m., Saturday | Victim died at hospital from stab wound |
| Tuesday morning | Haji surrendered to police and was charged |
| Aug. 27 | Scheduled weight-of-evidence hearing |
Court status and community impact
In court filings, prosecutors said Haji has pleaded not guilty. He is being held without bail pending a weight-of-evidence hearing scheduled for Aug. 27. At Tuesday’s hearing, family members of the victim declined to comment, court records indicate. Local papers note that the two families are well acquainted.
The incident drew attention because it occurred in a busy, central part of the city adjacent to the county courthouse. Residents and downtown workers told reporters in the hours after the arrest that they were shaken by the violence. City and county officials did not immediately release additional details about whether courthouse operations or nearby businesses were affected at the time of the incident.
Police have not released information about a potential motive. Investigators continue to collect evidence and interview witnesses as the case moves through the Burlington court system. Anyone with information about the early-morning incident is asked to contact Burlington Police.
This developing criminal case underscores ongoing concerns about public safety in downtown Burlington and will remain under close watch as prosecutors prepare for the upcoming hearing.