UK News Stoke-on-Trent West Midlands

Stoke-on-Trent introduces evening ban on under-15s travelling alone on 32 bus services

From Friday, children under 15 will not be allowed to travel alone after 6pm on 32 bus routes serving Hanley Bus Station after rising anti-social behaviour prompted First Bus, the council and police to seek Department for Transport approval.

Stoke-on-Trent introduces evening ban on under-15s travelling alone on 32 bus services
©Illustration AI Imran Latif / we-news.com

New rule follows rise in anti-social behaviour at Hanley Bus Station and on board services

From Friday, children under the age of 15 are not permitted to travel alone on certain bus services in Stoke-on-Trent after 6pm, under a temporary restriction agreed by the Department for Transport following discussions with Staffordshire Police and Stoke-on-Trent City Council.

The measure, introduced by First Bus in response to a reported increase in anti-social behaviour at Hanley Bus Station and on board local services, affects 32 routes across the Potteries. Children in the five-to-15 age range will still be able to travel when accompanied by an adult; drivers have been instructed to exercise discretion where there are concerns for an unaccompanied child’s safety.

  • Age affected: under-15s
  • Start time: after 6pm
  • Number of services impacted: 32
  • Main focus: journeys to and from Hanley Bus Station
Item Detail
Authority approval Department for Transport
Partners First Bus, Staffordshire Police, Stoke-on-Trent City Council
Free travel scheme Applies to ages 5–15 until the end of August

The change has been described by First Bus managers as a regrettable but necessary step to protect staff and customers. Rebecca Arrowsmith, general manager for First Bus in the area, highlighted increased incidents of anti-social behaviour as the catalyst for the decision and said the restriction will be kept under daily review.

“The safety of our staff and customers is always our number one priority and we will always take steps to ensure everyone on board can travel in comfort and without nuisance,”

The temporary restriction comes while a government scheme allows children aged five to 15 to travel free on most bus services in England until the end of August. First Bus regional director Simon Mathieson said the decision had been taken “regrettably” and the company hopes to lift the measure once the free travel offer ends.

Drivers have been told to use their judgement if they believe an unaccompanied child is at risk. That discretion provides flexibility for frontline staff but also places them in the position of assessing vulnerability during journeys, a responsibility that trade unions and passenger groups often warn should be handled through clear operational support and co-ordination with local authorities.

The restriction applies specifically to travelling alone to and from Hanley Bus Station, though First Bus said it affects a total of 32 services across the city. The company stressed the move has the full support of Stoke-on-Trent City Council and will be monitored daily, with the goal of ending the restriction as soon as it is safe to do so.

For parents and guardians, the change may mean reorganising evening travel arrangements for children reliant on buses — particularly in the closing weeks of the school holiday when usage of the free-travel scheme is traditionally higher. Simon Mathieson acknowledged the policy was a response to increased take-up of the free travel scheme and the summer weather bringing more young people into town.

Local residents and community groups will be watching closely to see whether the intervention reduces incidents of anti-social behaviour at the bus station and on services, and how quickly the ban can be lifted. For now, the temporary rule places extra emphasis on adult supervision for younger passengers after 6pm and on the co-operation of parents, schools and community organisations to keep journeys safe.

First Bus and the council have not published a full list of the 32 services affected; passengers are advised to check First Bus communications and local council updates for route-specific information and any changes to the restriction.

Imran Latif
Imran AI West Midlands Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Imran, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

West Midlands

Your morning briefing

The top stories of West Midlands, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click