Track repairs and heavy lifts complete as testing phase begins
The rail link between Haywards Heath and Lewes is scheduled to reopen on Tuesday 1 September, Network Rail and operator Southern have confirmed, following the derailment of a passenger train on 13 August east of the town.
The incident involved the 2:24pm London Victoria to Eastbourne service and occurred at about 4pm, isolating part of the Brighton–Eastbourne route and triggering a substantial recovery operation.
What recovery work has been carried out
- Specialist crane teams (Kirow cranes) assembled on temporary foundations to lift derailed carriages.
- Engineers lifted three derailed carriages and removed a further five that were not derailed.
- Damaged track and ballast were excavated and replaced, and the embankment was rebuilt.
- Signalling systems were reinstated and track relaid where necessary.
Network Rail described the salvage and repair plan as a complex engineering operation that demanded temporary platforms for heavy plant and specialist lifting equipment. Work has moved on now to a rigorous programme of testing and inspections before the line is returned to passenger use.
"My thoughts and those of our teams continue to be with those who were injured, their families and friends and with all those who have been affected by this incident. I can only apologise for the disruption that this incident is causing to people’s journeys, and I want to personally thank people for their patience and their understanding along the way," said Lucy McAuliffe, Network Rail Sussex route director.
Passenger belongings and service disruption
As the recovery progressed, Southern said the British Transport Police were sweeping carriages for personal possessions once it was safe to enter them. The operator has been couriering recovered items back to customers where possible and said it was working to reunite passengers with lost belongings.
Passengers faced revised timetables and replacement transport while the works were carried out. The reopening date has been chosen to allow train services to resume ahead of the end of the summer holidays, when demand typically rises.
Local impact and what to expect next
The announced reopening will restore a key east–west link for commuters, school and college students, and local businesses that rely on rail connections to Brighton and the wider coastal corridor. Transport planners and operators emphasise that the final weeks of work focus on ensuring the route is safe and reliable before services restart.
Rail users should expect the following while the line completes testing and returns to normal operation:
- Continued local travel advice from operators and diversionary services until the official reopening.
- Possible residual timetable adjustments as services reintegrate and signalling is recalibrated.
- Information updates from Network Rail and Southern via their websites and station notices.
| Key date | Event |
|---|---|
| 13 August | Passenger train derailed east of Lewes (2:24pm London Victoria–Eastbourne service; incident about 4pm) |
| Mid–late August | Recovery: cranes and heavy plant used, carriages lifted and removed, embankment rebuilt, track relaid |
| 1 September | Planned reopening after testing and safety inspections |
Investigations into the cause of the derailment are under way. The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) published a preliminary report but did not conclude whether the recent hot weather had been a factor. Any further findings will be significant for future maintenance and resilience planning on the route.
For people living and working in Lewes, the reopening will be a welcome step back towards normal travel patterns. But residents should continue to check operator updates over the coming days for confirmation of timetables and any short-notice changes as the rail infrastructure is signed off.