A 45-year-old woman from Warangal district, who travelled to Muscat on a tourist visa after being promised domestic employment, returned to Hyderabad on August 11, 2026 after what her account and party sources described as nearly 25 days of confinement and harassment in Oman.
Allegations of passport seizure, forced work and threats
According to the report, Mohammed Mahamuda travelled to Oman on July 16 on a tourist visa. She allege d that an agent handed her over to a sub-agent on arrival in Muscat, who then seized her passport and mobile phone and confined her to a room. She further alleged that she was forced to work against her wishes and was subjected to physical assault and harassment.
When she sought to return to India, the sub-agent allegedly threatened to implicate her in a theft case and demanded ₹1.13 lakh for her release, claiming the amount had been spent in bringing her to Muscat. The passport was reportedly recovered from the sub-agent after intervention by Indian officials and other agencies.
Political and consular coordination led to rescue
The case was brought to the notice of BRS working president K. T. Rama Rao, who assured that he would bear expenses for her return, the report said. Following his intervention, efforts were made to trace and rescue the woman with the help of the Indian Embassy in Muscat and the Muscat Police. After nearly a week of coordinated effort she was traced, taken to the Indian Embassy and kept under official care for three days before returning to India.
“KTR responded immediately after learning about her plight. KTR coordinated with the BRS NRI Cell to seek the help of the Indian Embassy and local authorities and bring me here,” the woman said on arrival, thanking Mr. Rama Rao and others involved.
Local implications and official advice
Mr. Rama Rao, while urging caution, advised people seeking work in Gulf countries not to travel on tourist visas. He recommended that prospective migrant workers travel only on valid employment or work visas and verify recruitment agents, employers and job offers before leaving India, warning that unverified agents can lead to exploitation and legal difficulties abroad.
- Key actions taken: BRS intervention, coordination with Indian Embassy and Muscat Police, recovery of passport, and safe return to Hyderabad.
- Amount allegedly demanded: ₹1.13 lakh by the sub-agent
- Dates: Travelled to Muscat on 16 July; rescued and arrived in Hyderabad on 11 August 2026.
| Date | Event |
|---|---|
| 16 July 2026 | Travelled to Muscat on tourist visa |
| Late July–early Aug 2026 | Alleged confinement, passport seizure, forced work and threats (nearly 25 days) |
| Early–mid Aug 2026 | Intervention by K. T. Rama Rao; coordination with Indian Embassy and Muscat Police |
| 11 August 2026 | Reached Hyderabad safely |
The incident underlines persistent risks faced by migrant hopefuls from Telangana and neighbouring states who use irregular channels to seek overseas employment. Local migrant families in Warangal and surrounding mandals — where demand for Gulf jobs remains high — face similar vulnerabilities when recruitment processes lack transparency.
Community leaders and civic groups in Warangal have regularly advised prospective migrants to use registered recruitment agents, seek employment visas and register travel plans with relatives and local police. The latest case is likely to renew calls for more intensive pre-departure counselling and stricter monitoring of agents operating in the city and district.
Ms. Mahamuda publicly thanked those who assisted her return. The matter also highlights the role of consular outreach and district-level political networks in resolving overseas distress cases for Warangal residents.