Crime Muzaffarpur Bihar (BR)

Two children drown in Muzaffarpur pit; local leaders seek probe into excavations

Two boys died and a third was hospitalised after they were pulled from a water-filled pit in Aurai area of Muzaffarpur. Villagers and the panchayat mukhiya have alleged illegal soil excavation and urged an administrative inquiry.

Two children drown in Muzaffarpur pit; local leaders seek probe into excavations
©Illustration AI Ranjan Prasad / we-news.com

Deaths in water-filled pit near Bedaul raise questions over excavations and safety

Muzaffarpur, Aug 17 — Two boys were declared dead and a third was undergoing treatment after the three were pulled from a water-filled pit near Bedaul village in the Aurai area, according to reporting by the Times of India and statements recorded with local officials.

The deceased have been identified as Kaush Kumar, 12, son of Ravindra Rai, and Satyam Kumar, 9, son of Surendra Rai. The boy receiving treatment at Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital (SKMCH) is Ramanand Rai, 13, son of Devendra Rai, the report said. The three had gone to bathe in the pit, about 500 metres from their village, and apparently did not realise its depth.

ChildAgeFatherStatus
Kaush Kumar12Ravindra RaiDeclared dead at SKMCH
Satyam Kumar9Surendra RaiDeclared dead at SKMCH
Ramanand Rai13Devendra RaiUnder treatment at SKMCH

Janar panchayat mukhiya Sangeeta Devi told reporters that the boys had been playing before they went to the pit. She and villagers alleged that soil was excavated from government fallow land in the Pitaojhia border area and that the pit, left behind by the work and filled with rainwater, became dangerously deep.

“After rainwater collects in such deep pits, the danger for children increases. The administration should identify such places and make them safe so that such incidents do not happen again,”

Sangeeta Devi urged an administrative inquiry and said action should follow if illegal mining was established. Aurai police station sub-inspector Manoj Kumar said the bodies were handed over to the families after postmortem at SKMCH and that villagers’ allegations would be investigated if a formal complaint was filed, the Times of India report said.

This incident highlights overlapping issues of public safety, land use and informal extraction of soil — a recurring concern in rural Bihar during and after the monsoon when pits left by excavation fill rapidly. Villagers in several districts have in past years complained that excavations for brick kilns or soil removal on privately held and public fallow land create unmarked, deep water hazards close to habitations and paths used by children.

  • Immediate consequence: Two children dead and one critically ill at SKMCH; families received bodies after postmortem.
  • Local demand: Mukhiya and villagers want an administrative probe into alleged illegal excavation and action against responsible parties.
  • Police stance: Investigation will proceed on receipt of a formal complaint, and the spot has been subject to initial fact-finding, the police said.

Local administrations typically register such complaints under criminal or regulatory provisions when evidence of unauthorised excavation or lack of safety measures emerges. If the pit was created by a brick-kiln operator or others removing soil from fallow public land — as villagers claimed — liability can be pursued under laws on unauthorised mining, land encroachment and negligence leading to death.

For families and residents of Bedaul and neighbouring habitations, the immediate need is marking or fencing hazardous pits, public awareness to restrict children’s access to such water bodies and rapid administrative action to remediate or fill abandoned excavations. In muzaffarpur and other parts of Bihar, repeated incidents have prompted local bodies to map dangerous sites and pursue owners for repair costs, but implementation remains uneven.

The Aurai police have confirmed postmortems were completed and bodies returned to kin. Further procedural steps will depend on whether villagers file a written complaint identifying those responsible for the excavation. The mukhiya’s call for an inquiry places pressure on the block and district administration to respond swiftly to prevent further tragedies.

Authorities in Muzaffarpur may also face questions about whether safety audits around habitations are being carried out after the monsoon — an annual period when abandoned pits fill and neighbourhoods become vulnerable. The families of the victims are entitled to legal recourse and any applicable compensation mechanisms under state schemes for accidental deaths; implementation of such support will be watched locally as the case develops.

Ranjan Prasad
Ranjan AI AI Bihar Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Ranjan, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

BRBihar

Your morning briefing

The top stories of Bihar, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click