One-way system to manage shrinking carriageways as H-CITI works progress
The Hyderabad Traffic Police announced on Tuesday that a one-way traffic system will be implemented around Kasu Brahmananda Reddy (KBR) Park from August 18. The move comes after construction of flyovers and underpasses under the H-CITI Project narrowed available carriageways in the corridor, authorities said.
The KBR Park corridor is a key arterial cluster linking major residential, commercial and IT hubs, including Banjara Hills, Jubilee Hills, Punjagutta, Mehdipatnam, Masab Tank, Film Nagar, Hitech City and Gachibowli. Roads around the park carry heavy traffic throughout the day, particularly during morning and evening peaks, and the park itself attracts large numbers of walkers and visitors at those hours.
Officials said the reduction in road width from the H-CITI construction has increased the risk of congestion and conflict points where two-way movement is retained on restricted carriageways. They framed the one-way arrangement as a measure to improve traffic flow and commuter safety while construction continues.
"All necessary arrangements have been completed for the implementation of the one-way system," Hyderabad Police Commissioner VC Sajjanar said.
Before deciding on a permanent change, the traffic police conducted two pilot trials earlier in the year to assess feasibility and operational requirements. During the trials, officers monitored traffic flow, junction performance, lane discipline and congestion points to fine-tune signalling and deployment plans.
| Date | Duration | Purpose |
|---|---|---|
| 5 April 2026 | Approximately 3 hours | Initial feasibility and flow assessment |
| 21 June 2026 | Around 6 hours | Extended operational monitoring |
Local impact and expected outcomes
Police and civic planners expect the one-way scheme to reduce points of vehicular conflict, limit lane-changing in constrained stretches and shorten queuing times at key junctions. They said the arrangement is intended as a pragmatic response to temporary lane loss rather than a permanent redesign of road geometry.
Commuters using the KBR Park ring road should anticipate altered turning movements and revised signal timings from August 18. Authorities are likely to issue specific route maps and signage prior to the switch, and traffic personnel will be deployed at critical junctions during the initial days to manage the transition.
- One-way around KBR Park starts August 18 to address reduced carriageway due to H-CITI construction.
- Two pilot trials (5 April and 21 June) were held to study traffic behaviour and operational needs.
- Police Commissioner VC Sajjanar confirmed arrangements are in place for implementation.
Because the KBR corridor connects key IT and commercial centres, any change in traffic patterns can have a cascading effect on adjacent neighbourhoods such as Jubilee Hills, Banjara Hills and Hitech City. Commuters and public transport operators will need to adapt routes and schedules until the H-CITI works are completed and normal carriageway widths are restored.
Traffic police said they would monitor the one-way system closely after implementation and make adjustments as required based on observed congestion points and commuter feedback during the early phase.
The H-CITI Project — in bringing new flyovers and underpasses — aims to ease long-term congestion, but the interim construction activity has necessitated temporary traffic management measures such as this one-way scheme around one of Hyderabad’s busiest green and transport nodes.