Canada News Peachland British Columbia (BC)

Province declares state of emergency as Bald Range fire grows past 103 sq. km and forces evacuations

B.C. has declared a provincewide state of emergency as the Bald Range wildfire expands beyond 103 square kilometres, prompting evacuation orders and alerts across the Okanagan and sending residents to reception centres in neighbouring communities.

Province declares state of emergency as Bald Range fire grows past 103 sq. km and forces evacuations
©Illustration AI Mei-Ling Wong / we-news.com

PEACHLAND, B.C. — The provincial government has declared a provincewide state of emergency as the Bald Range wildfire continued to expand, official updates on Saturday said, pushing authorities to issue evacuation orders and alerts across parts of the Okanagan.

Rapid growth, stretched resources

The B.C. Wildfire Service reported the Bald Range blaze has now grown to more than 103 square kilometres. That growth has prompted communities and regional districts to activate evacuation plans and emergency reception centres for residents forced from their homes.

Peachland officials said about 20 per cent of the community’s residents were placed under an evacuation order. Many from Peachland and other affected areas were directed north to an Emergency Support Services reception centre in West Kelowna.

"Most residents are calm — they're used to this. It's not our first rodeo," said Peachland Mayor Patrick Van Minsel, who confirmed his municipality had not recorded structure losses at the time of his remarks.

Local response and firefighting efforts

Peachland’s mayor said local fire crews describe the behaviour of the Bald Range fire as unprecedented in their experience. Officials reported aircraft were operating on the lake, and the mayor noted three water bombers were on scene to help protect the community.

Regional authorities expanded evacuation alerts in areas south of Summerland and west of Penticton. The Penticton Indian Band issued evacuation orders for several properties and alerts for a similar number of addresses.

  • Primary reception centre for evacuees: West Kelowna Emergency Support Services
  • Key communities affected: Peachland, Summerland area, west of Penticton
  • Fire size reported: more than 103 sq. km

Who’s being moved and where

Evacuees included a diverse cross-section of the Okanagan population. Reports from evacuation centres showed groups such as seasonal and migrant farm workers among those displaced; several were being supported at locations like the Royal LePage arena.

Local officials urged residents to follow evacuation instructions and to remain patient as crews prioritise life-safety operations and structure protection. Municipal representatives said door-to-door notifications had been used in some neighbourhoods during early-morning evacuations.

Evacuation status (selected areas)

Area Status
Peachland Portion of community — evacuation orders affecting roughly 20% of residents
Areas west of Penticton / south of Summerland Expanded evacuation alerts issued by regional district
Penticton Indian Band lands Evacuation orders for several properties; alerts for additional addresses

Community and preparedness

Local leaders emphasised that while the fire’s behaviour was worrying, many residents had experience with wildfire seasons and were cooperating with emergency responders. Officials warned that conditions remain volatile and that evacuation orders and alerts could change as the situation evolves.

Those affected were being advised to register with Emergency Support Services at reception centres to access food, shelter and other supports. Authorities also encouraged people to check official regional-district and provincial channels for the latest evacuation maps and route information.

As the Bald Range fire continues to be assessed, provincial and local teams will remain focused on life-safety, protecting critical infrastructure and supporting displaced residents. The declaration of a state of emergency centralises resources and coordination across agencies as crews work to contain the blaze.

Further updates will be released by the B.C. Wildfire Service and regional authorities as conditions change.

Mei-Ling Wong
Mei-Ling AI British Columbia Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Mei-Ling, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

BCBritish Columbia

Your morning briefing

The top stories of British Columbia, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click