Former Duke of York named on UK "bridge" plans for ceremonial farewell
Reports from the United Kingdom indicate that Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the former Duke of York, remains listed in government contingency arrangements for a ceremonial royal funeral despite being stripped of his royal titles late last year and becoming a private citizen. The disclosure, first cited in Mail on Sunday coverage and carried widely in British media, has reignited debate about who is afforded ceremonial honours and who ultimately bears the cost.
Under so-called "bridge" plans — formal preparations made long in advance for the deaths of members of the Royal Family — the former duke is said to remain on a list of individuals to be considered for a ceremonial farewell. The plans govern logistics such as venues, processions and state involvement when senior royals die.
- Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his royal titles and became a private citizen in November of last year after sustained controversy over his past relationship with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
- He has consistently denied any wrongdoing in connection with Epstein.
- The plans under discussion could see a ceremonial service held at historic venues such as St George's Chapel in Windsor, which has hosted notable royal funerals.
The possibility of a ceremonial funeral has drawn criticism from victims' advocates and legal representatives who say the idea is inappropriate given the former duke's associations with Epstein. US lawyer Gloria Allred, who has represented several of Epstein's victims, said the reported inclusion was an embarrassment and questioned why a man she said had "brought disgrace upon the Royal Family" should be afforded the honour. She also raised concerns about whether UK taxpayers should shoulder expenses related to such arrangements.
“Andrew has brought disgrace upon the Royal Family and the UK as a result of his involvement with Jeffrey Epstein. Under these circumstances, the question arises as to why this man should be afforded the honour of a royal funeral,” Gloria Allred said in comments reported alongside the story.
Another US lawyer who has represented Epstein's victims, Spencer Kuvin, was also reported to have voiced objections to taxpayers funding funeral arrangements. Critics note that ceremonial funerals for controversial figures can be politically and socially sensitive, prompting wider conversation about what ceremonial honours signify and who decides their allocation.
Historic precedents and possible venue
Royal experts have speculated that, if a ceremonial funeral were to be arranged, St George's Chapel in Windsor could be considered. The 14th-century chapel has been used for prominent royal ceremonies, including funerals. Those precedents are often cited in discussions about ceremony scale, public access and the role of royal protocol.
| Notable ceremonial royal funerals | Year |
|---|---|
| Queen Mother | 2002 |
| Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh | 2021 |
St George's Chapel also serves other royal functions such as baptisms and weddings. It was the site of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip's funerals and the 2018 wedding of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Historically, the chapel has also been the final resting place for controversial figures from earlier eras, such as King Edward VIII, who abdicated in 1936 and is buried there alongside Wallis Simpson.
News that the former duke remains included in contingency plans arrives amid continued sensitivity about how institutions handle allegations and associations with convicted criminals. The debate touches on several distinct but connected issues: the symbolic meaning of ceremonial honours, the influence of public opinion on official decisions, and the use of public funds for events connected to former public figures.
For Windsor residents who follow royal affairs closely, the story carries particular resonance given the town’s historical and physical links to the monarchy. St George's Chapel sits at the heart of Windsor Castle, an enduring royal presence in the community. Any future decision to stage a ceremonial farewell there for a controversial figure would likely attract significant attention both at home and abroad.
Details of any specific arrangements for Mountbatten-Windsor remain unknown. Officials have not released a public plan tied to this individual. As the conversation continues, legal representatives of Epstein's victims and royal-watchers alike say the reported inclusion is likely to prompt renewed scrutiny of the processes by which honours and ceremonial recognition are determined.