Repair work has begun on the section of the R62 through the Langkloof that was badly damaged during the heavy rains and flooding in May, Eastern Cape premier Oscar Mabuyane said during a visit to the Sarah Baartman district on Tuesday. The contractor on site has given government an estimated completion time of three months.
Damage disrupted communities and commerce
The damaged stretch is a vital transport corridor for towns in the Langkloof, including Kareedouw, Joubertina, Krakeel, Louterwater and Misgund. Heavy flooding along the Gamtoos River earlier in the year caused widespread destruction of roads, bridges, farms and homes, affecting movement of people and goods and hampering local economic activity and tourism.
Provincial authorities said preparatory work on the roadway was at an advanced stage and that the Eastern Cape government was coordinating closely with the South African National Roads Agency (SANRAL) to restore safe and reliable access.
"The contractor is on site and work has begun, and the contractor says they will be done within three months,"
Mabuyane described the restoration of the R62 as critical to reconnecting communities and supporting the local citrus and farming industry, which relies on the route to move produce to markets and export facilities.
Community response and interim fixes
In the aftermath of the flooding, farmers and residents created their own bypass routes to reach remaining crops and transport produce to market. Mabuyane commended that local initiative, saying landowners partnered with government to create temporary access where possible.
He also remarked on the broader maintenance challenge, noting that long periods without proper upkeep deepens vulnerability to extreme weather events and infrastructure failure.
What to expect during the repairs
- Contractor already deployed on site; preparatory works reportedly advanced.
- Provincial government and SANRAL are jointly monitoring and evaluating progress.
- Estimated timeline for substantial completion: three months; interim local bypasses remain in use.
The joint management by provincial roads officials and SANRAL aims to ensure the repairs meet standards required for the corridor’s heavy agricultural and tourist traffic.
Local and economic impact
Restoration of the R62 is expected to ease logistical constraints for commercial farmers in the Langkloof who supply citrus and other produce for both domestic markets and export. While the temporary bypasses allowed some continuity, those routes are not built to the same standard as the main road and pose risks for heavier vehicles and higher traffic volumes.
Restoring the main route will also improve access to health and municipal services for residents in the affected towns; prolonged closures have raised concerns about response times for emergency services and the cost of transporting goods on longer alternative routes.
| Affected towns | Primary impact |
|---|---|
| Kareedouw | Reduced access; reliance on bypasses |
| Joubertina | Disrupted movement of produce |
| Krakeel, Louterwater, Misgund | Local economic and service access interruptions |
What residents and road users should know
Motorists and transport operators using the Langkloof corridor should continue to plan for possible delays and follow instructions from road signage and workers on site. Those using interim routes should be aware they may not accommodate heavy or wide loads safely and that travel times remain longer than normal until full repairs are complete.
Provincial authorities have not published a detailed breakdown of repair costs or a phased traffic-management plan; SANRAL and the Eastern Cape roads department are expected to release further technical information as works progress and once major milestones are reached.
The R62 is a key artery for the Sarah Baartman district; its rapid reconstruction is central to restoring normal economic activity in the Langkloof after the May floods. Government monitoring visits signal political attention and an expectation of accountability as contractors proceed with the repairs.
Further updates on the project timeline and traffic arrangements will be issued by the roads authorities as work reaches defined stages and when any planned closures or detours are required.