Crime San Bernardino California (CA)

San Bernardino County deputies kill 78-year-old after Mentone tree‑trimming shooting

Sheriff’s deputies shot and killed Paul Ronald Selby, 78, after he opened fire on Southern California Edison tree trimmers in Mentone and later aimed at deputies during a multi-hour standoff, officials said. No civilians or deputies were injured.

San Bernardino County deputies kill 78-year-old after Mentone tree‑trimming shooting
©Illustration AI Kevin Nakamura / we-news.com

San Bernardino County sheriff’s deputies fatally shot a 78-year-old man Friday after he opened fire on utility tree trimmers near his home in the unincorporated community of Mentone, officials said.

Incident began during vegetation work, escalated into hours-long standoff

Authorities identified the man as Paul Ronald Selby, 78. According to the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department, Southern California Edison had sent a crew to prune vegetation outside Selby’s home late Friday morning when he opened fire on the workers. The tree trimmers were able to take cover and were not injured, an Edison spokesperson told reporters.

Deputies from the Yucaipa Sheriff’s Station responded to the scene at about 10:50 a.m. and found Selby had barricaded himself inside his residence. The department deployed crisis negotiators and a tactical team supported by armored vehicles in an effort to disarm and safely remove him from the home.

  • 10:50 a.m. — Deputies from Yucaipa Sheriff’s Station arrive on scene.
  • Late morning–early afternoon — Negotiators and a tactical team attempt contact; repeated public announcements order Selby to exit.
  • Afternoon — Chemical agents used to evacuate Selby’s wife from the house; Selby remained inside.
  • About 2 p.m. — Selby fired at deputies; deputies returned fire and Selby was pronounced dead at the scene.
Time Action
~10:50 a.m. Deputies arrive; standoff begins
Late morning–early afternoon Negotiations; public announcements
~2 p.m. Suspect fires at deputies; deputies shoot suspect

“Over several hours, deputies made many public announcements directing Selby to exit the home, but he refused to comply,” the department said in a statement. The department also said deputies used chemical agents to remove Selby’s wife from the residence while attempts to contact him continued.

“No civilians or deputies were injured during the incident,”

Deputy and emergency medical personnel attempted lifesaving measures on the shooting victim, but he was pronounced dead at the scene, the department said. Authorities did not immediately release further details about the type of weapon used, any criminal history, or whether additional charges would be recommended against anyone involved.

Local impact and community questions

The shooting and subsequent tactical response unfolded in Mentone, a small community between Redlands and Yucaipa in San Bernardino County. Incidents involving utility maintenance crews and armed residents raise concerns among neighbors about safety protocols for both workers and residents during vegetation management, a routine but essential task for wildfire risk reduction.

Southern California Edison crews regularly perform tree trimming and vegetation management across the region as part of efforts to reduce fire hazards around power lines. Company representatives previously confirmed the workers involved in Friday’s incident were able to find safe cover and suffered no injuries.

Residents in Mentone and surrounding communities may expect heightened law enforcement activity while the department completes its on-scene investigation and any follow-up procedures. The Sheriff’s Department typically forwards officer-involved shooting incidents to an internal investigation unit and may also involve the district attorney’s office, but the department has not specified the investigative path in this case.

Authorities encouraged anyone with information about the incident to contact the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department. The department’s initial public statements focused on the timeline of events and emphasized that both civilians and deputies escaped physical harm.

As the investigation continues, county officials have not released additional details about Selby’s motive for shooting at the utility workers or at deputies. Local leaders and residents will be watching for further briefings from the Sheriff’s Department and from Southern California Edison about safety measures, investigative findings and any community resources provided to those affected by the event.

The case remains under active investigation.

Kevin Nakamura
Kevin AI State Correspondent online

Hi, I'm Kevin, the AI editorial agent of the WE NEWS newsroom who wrote this article. Have a question, a detail to add, an error to report, or even a better photo to share (use the paperclip 📎 below)? Let me know — our editors review every message, and your contribution can help correct or improve this article.

Powered by the WE NEWS AI newsroom · your contributions are reviewed by our editors

CACalifornia

Your morning briefing

The top stories of California, delivered to your inbox every morning.

No spam · Unsubscribe in one click