Six Orange County high school football teams that planned to open their 2026 seasons in Hawaii are keeping close watch on a storm system for the Hawaiian Islands that could force schedule changes and logistical shifts for student-athletes, coaches and families.
Storm advisory triggers contingency planning
A Tropical Cyclone One-C advisory was issued Wednesday for the Hawaiian Islands starting late Friday, and forecasts called for heavy rainfall, high winds and dangerous surf. The advisory prompted coaches and athletic directors from Orange County teams to reassess kickoff times, travel and practice schedules for games scheduled across Kauai and Oahu this week.
The group of Orange County programs making the trip — San Clemente, Capistrano Valley, Newport Harbor, San Juan Hills, Villa Park and Edison — represents a county record for the number of teams playing in Hawaii in the same season, county football historian Dennis Bateman confirmed. The previous high was four teams, set in 2022 and 2024.
Teams, opponents and timing
Games were scheduled across two islands beginning Thursday. Officials and team staff emphasized that plans remained fluid and that communication with host schools and event organizers was ongoing.
- San Clemente: scheduled to play Thursday night at Kapa‘a on Kauai.
- Capistrano Valley: scheduled to play Friday night on Oahu at Damien.
- Newport Harbor: scheduled to play Friday night on Oahu at Nanakuli.
- San Juan Hills: scheduled to play Friday night on Oahu at Castle.
- Villa Park: scheduled to play Friday night on Oahu at Farrington.
- Edison: scheduled to open Saturday at Iolani on Oahu, with kickoff originally set for 3:15 p.m.
| Team | Island | Opponent | Scheduled day |
|---|---|---|---|
| San Clemente | Kauai | Kapa‘a | Thursday night |
| Capistrano Valley | Oahu | Damien | Friday night |
| Newport Harbor | Oahu | Nanakuli | Friday night |
| San Juan Hills | Oahu | Castle | Friday night |
| Villa Park | Oahu | Farrington | Friday night |
| Edison | Oahu | Iolani | Saturday (3:15 p.m.) |
Coaches and athletic directors say plans remain fluid
Coaches reported active coordination with hosts and the possibility of moving game times to avoid the worst of the forecast. San Juan Hills coach Robert Frith said the team was monitoring the forecast and that officials might move the game earlier in the week if necessary.
“We are monitoring (the forecast). We may move (the game) to (Thursday) if needed.”
Capistrano Valley coach Sean Curtis said his staff had been in touch with the opponent and that, as of Wednesday, the host school had indicated the game was still scheduled to proceed.
“They told us (Wednesday) we are still good to go. Storm is expected to hit Saturday.”
Edison athletic director Rich Boyce said kickoff for his program’s Saturday matchup could be moved to avoid deteriorating conditions, with potential alternative start times being 9 a.m. or noon. He described the situation as in flux and “still discussing.”
“All in flux,” he said of the schedule. “Still discussing.”
On-the-ground observations and local implications
Some teams posted practice updates from Hawaii showing blue skies with clouds on Wednesday, but officials cautioned that conditions can change rapidly in tropical systems. The potential for heavy rain, strong winds and hazardous surf carries implications beyond game timing: travel disruptions, altered practice plans, and safety protocols for visiting student-athletes and accompanying families.
For Orange County communities, the unusually large contingent of teams traveling together heightens the logistical challenge should cancellations or mass rescheduling become necessary. Families planning to attend games, district officials responsible for student travel and athletic departments will need to remain alert to advisories from Hawaii emergency management and updates from host schools.
Officials did not announce any cancellations as of Wednesday night. Coaches and athletic directors said they would continue to monitor forecasts and coordinate with hosts to make decisions prioritizing safety and minimizing disruption to student-athletes.
WE NEWS will continue to track developments and provide updates for Orange County teams and families as new information becomes available.